CVT and Rear differential oil change, Won't do that again.

I just done the oil change for the CVT and rear differential.  Suffice to say, I am getting too old for this.

I had done it years ago at around 90,000 mile, and I should have remembered what a pain in the neck it was.

Problem 1:  My oil pan is not big enough/or I wasn't smart enough to position it perfectly to anticipate the trajectory of the oil .  1/2 quart was spilled on the cardboard.  Good thing I had plenty of old cloth right there to soak it up.

Problem 2:  CVT oil gushing out of the fill hole.  Funny, I didn't know how I could have overfilled by 1/2 quart.  My jacking technique was the same: Front tires on the Rhino ramp.  Maybe last time I did it when the oil is cold?

Problem 3:  It's 90 degree outside, I am wearing a flight suit overall.  Swear all over.  Hand too oily to grab a water bottle.

Problem 4:  The hand pump.  OOOOHHHHH the hand pump.  Plews brand hand pump, 4 cc at a time.  Why am I doing this again, why?  The pump doesn't fit the Toyota oil bottle, the hose clamp poke at your fingers.  I throw away the same pump last time, why was I expecting it to be any better?

I almost had a heat stroke today.

Never will I go through this again.  I am getting too old for this.

Years ago I decided that I was no longer going to do certain messy tasks the produce fluids that can't be taken to the local auto parts store. These tasks include coolant and brake fluid changes.

For our Lexus I still change the oil, oil filter, air and cabin filters, but that's about it.

When I was younger I did far more because

a) I could without any painful reminders the next day and

b) Money was tight

Thanks for the warning regarding trans fluid changes. I think I'll leave that one for the shop.

My left hip had a bruise that day because I was laying on the cardboard and kept changing my prone position from side to side.  I thought my lower back is bad, I didn't realize my arms were getting weak too.  I drained 6 quarts, and filled 6 quarts back.  My right hand was cut in two places due to that hose clamp. 

I usually did my own oil changes and tire rotations.  I am seriously contemplating buying a cordless impact wrench to take off lug nuts, just to save my back.  Local tire store employees can't be trust to rotate my tires because: 1.  They support the car with 3 floor jacks, no jack stand; 2.  They use the impact wrench like they hated my car.  No torque wrench anywhere in the store.  I suspect my local mechanic didn't use torque wrench too.  They stripped the oil drain hole thread last year, and oil leaked on my driveway.  That's the last time I will let them do the oil change, no more "change my oil since I am already here for the state inspection".

I am only at the ripe old age of 43.

You must live in a small town. I use either Discount tire or Big O for tire rotations and changes. Discount tire handles my two cars that have Enkei wheels and they are very careful when handling them and their lug nuts.

While I seldom have to remove tires/wheels in my garage, when I do, a Sears Craftsman Professional compressor with impact wrench (for loosening lug nuts, only) really comes in handy for that task and for topping off the tires' air pressure.

I've found that the key to maintaining a safe working environment is to have the right equipment, take my time, plan ahead, and leave the stuff that requires painful body contortions to the mechanic with a lift. Oh,....and exercise regularly; it does help. I've got a few years on you (15 to be exact).

I live in queens borough, NYC.  I am surrounded by used car dealerships, body shops and 3 tire shops (one big, two small).  The only place I saw torque wrench in use was in Costco and BJ's Club tire shop.  They are 10 minute's drive out of my regular commute.

I injured my lower back lifting weight back in Junior high school years.  The P.E. teacher was terrible.  She didn't give any instructions on correct body posture to lift.  Just pointed to the bar weight and told us to lift 10 times over head to pass the exam.  No training before, ever.  My lower back became very stiff if I had to hunch over to do anything for more than 3 minutes.  I had been very careful lifting heavy stuff ever since, and I move boxes of wine and liquor every workday without problems.  It's all in the correct posture.

What's your thoughts on all these big grills on the new models?  They are part of the bumper now.  I figure minor repair is going to be very expensive compare to the old style on our RX.

What a coincidence - I was born in Astoria General hospital, although most of my younger years were spent in Connecticut. I don't really like the new grills. Our next Lexus may be a GS450h that is a couple of years old. That grill looks better to me than the new ones. My wife accidentally put a crack in our front bumper when a commercial van driver braked suddenly. I wished we had the emergency braking feature that many newer vehicles have.