Green Coolant In My 93

Hey, I was just reading a post in which SK said this won't work in our cars...

A little while ago when I took my car to the radiator guy, I told him it was supposed to be red coolant, and he said it didn't matter as long as they system only had one type in it...

I now have green coolant in my car, should I go back and tell him to replace it? if so, what should I say?

cheers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as the red stuff was completely flushed out of your system.... Green is totally appropriate to put in. The red stuff is just purely toyota chemicals, and it doesnt make a difference which you use, so long as you dont ever EVER mix the two.

Doesnt apply to the newer cars though that have that high milage coolant i dont think

My 98 came with Red collant but it is not special per lexus. It is just normal EG coolant but Toyota/Lexus puts dye in it for some reason. So, any EG collant is just fine.

ELC is red, orange and purple (and other colors). Regualr EG collant is always green or yellow. Also I would not just go by the coolant color.

Again Lexus uses Red dye in their normal EG collant. FOr my car, you can mix the Toyota Red and regualr EG collant. All the same except for the dye.

I asked Lexus this very question 2 years old.

You can use many brands but I use Fleetrite EG Low silicate anti-freeze. And yes, it is fine for alu rads. Been using it in all my cars, tractors, gsxr1100 etc. The rads are perfect.

Again, many Lexus's have EG (regular coolants not dex-cool or ELC coolants). it is just dyed EG coolant per lexus. Not many have ELC (long life coolant).

I know all about ELC and regular based coolants. Plus as long as you just a good EG low/no silicate you are fine. Also use only DW.

No hope needed here, it works and I asked Lexus about this topic 2-years ago.

Green can work but mixing it known to have fall out. As well as many 92-93 Es 300's having overheating problems especially when they have green coolant. I buy lexus coolant ,i see no need to change it to a lower boiling point as it is a minimal price difference and i prefer to keep my car with at least the minimums it was engineered with and nothing less.

this is going to be another long tread filled with opinions, a dealer says many things most make sense and some don't.

All that you might get is dye fallout. That will not cause overheating. Green is not a case but will work as per Lexus.

Also there is no way a 92 or 93 have ELC.

Case in point, the regular EG coolant is the SAME as the expensive Lexus/Toyota collant just without the red dye. The freeze and boiling point is the same, no change.

To close a no/low silicate antifreeze is all you need. Lexus is nothing fancy. Just geared to the "high ups" with more $$$$.

This is what I posted to Lexus on 8/08/2002 (as stated online @ Lexus)

Dear Mr. Burnickas:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding your 1998 ES 300.

Lexus recommends Genuine Toyota/Lexus coolant. Here are the ingredients:

85-90% Ethylene Glycol

less than 5% Diethylene Glycol

less than 5% hydrated inorganic acids and organic acid salts

less than 5% water

If the cooling system is being serviced, a 50% solution of this type of anti-freeze and water is recommended or a sufficient quantity to provide protection to -31 degrees F.

If Genuine Toyota/Lexus coolant is not used, then the aftermarket coolant must be ethylene-glycol based.

Since coolant is poisonous if swallowed, we dye the coolant so that it cannot be mistaken for water. Otherwise, there is no special significance to the color choice. Aftermarket coolants can typically be found in yellow-green, blue, and orange.

I also buy the red Toyota/ Lexus coolant, use a 50/50 mixture with distilled water. Basically what is suggested in the owners manual. I do a complete change every 2 years or 30,000 miles (50,000 kms) regardless. Works for me! :D

Good to know. The price at my Lexus dealer is the same as the Prestone Long life stuff you can get at any major department or auto parts store so cost is not an issue anyways. At least this way, as long as I have the bills for all service, if I have a problem down the road with the cooling syste, & the dealer tries to "pull a funny" tell me I used the wrong fluid or some lame excuse......I just show him/her the proof that I in fact purchased those fluids 25 feet to the right at their parts counter. ;) B)

:cheers:

Every 1989-2003 Lexus ever built has come from the factory with a 50/50 mix of Toyota Long Life Coolant and distilled water. Owners who stick with this factory original coolant mixture at change time are rewarded with a radiator and cooling system that still looks like new even after 15 years and 228,000 miles http://www.saber.net/~monarch/238..JPG And with water pumps that last 175-250,000 miles. So owners can get by replacing the water pump every 2nd timing belt change instead of replacing it every time the timing belt is changed.

Owners who switch to green / yellow Prestone / Zerex type aftermarket coolants end up with engines that start running hotter than they used to after 5-10 years and eventually warped cylinder heads from the overheating and busted head gaskets - unless they replace their radiators at the first sign of running hotter than normal.

So yes you can continue using green /yellow coolant. Just be financially prepared to replace the radiator at the first sign of the temperature gauge going higher up the dial than it used to and be financially prepared to replace the water pump at every timing belt change. Also, be prepared for the possibility of having a head gasket failure someday even if you don't overheat the engine because sometimes some of the aluminum metal in the cooling passages of the aluminum cylinder head erodes away when using the green/yellow coolant which in turn weakens the sealing ability of the head gasket.

Local mechanics never want to use Toyota Long Life Coolant because they can't purchase it any cheaper than you can. They aren't in business to trade dollars - they are in business to make a profit.

monarch- Ok, I am not starting a war but the info you start is incorrect or wrong.

See my post on Apr 27 2004, 09:27 AM. This post was from LEXUS and state, "If Genuine Toyota/Lexus coolant is not used, then the aftermarket coolant must be ethylene-glycol based."

Lexus supplied the ingredients of their coolant, again nothing special about it. Also their long life coolant is not long life nor is it like an ELC. Replace every 15,000 miles per the manual is should be called “of Toyota Short Life Coolant”

You can post pictures of this and that but again, bottom line. LEXUS summarized it all up in on document.

Since you are using the same coolant, EG based, it will not affect water pump life or affectivity nor affect the heads, gaskets etc. Now if you switch to a ELC, then you need to flush system.

So if you are right, then Lexus is completely wrong and is sending out documents that will cause millions in damages from incorrect info from the manufacture.....

Surely Toyota's red coolant (long life on the jug at least but I won't dispute that it's just regular stuff) is at LEAST good for 2 years or 30,000 miles like any other "green" regular coolant? :blink::unsure: The 15,000 mile interval seems a tad too early to change. Even the cheapest stuff lasts that long according to the bottles instructions when properly mixed.

I would assume the Prestone "long life" red stuff is better than the Toyota/Lexus brand then?? :unsure: I thought both the Prestone & Toyota long life had pretty much the same ingredents? :unsure:

It is regular EG coolant with low/no silicate. Again nothing special since I can pick it up at an Diesel place. It will not have a Toyota/Lexus bottle.

The 15,000-drain interval is per Lexus (on my CD-R and manuals). I also agree it is WAY to early. Moneymaker at best.

I would say Prestone long life (black bottle) and Toyota are equivalents (or very close) to each other. Prestone yellow bottle sucks.

I also do not know the chemical brake down of either, just what is on the bottles of both. I do not know Chloride (PPM), Ash, PH, Specific Gravity, boiling point and freeze point (undiluted), etc.

More than fair mburn & I also agree if Lexus is suggesting 15,000 mile intervals is a cash grab :rolleyes: I'm not fimiliar with the black bottle of Prestone long life (or EXTENDED life as it's also known), just the silver jug of the stuff that says on the bottle it's good for 5 years or 150,000 miles with a 50/50 mixture whichever comes first. So this confuses the situation even more........perhaps one should e-mail Prestone to ask what the difference of their extended life coolant is & the Toyota/Lexus stuff? :unsure:

The Black Bottle of Prestone is a low EG silicate coolant (heavy duty) that is great. The yellow bottle is HIGH silicates (which they do not tell you). This MIGHT cause drop out in coolant over time. Which wil slow high transfer rates and fluxs down the road.

EG=Ethylene-glycol based

ELC- Extended Life Coolant (ELC) which is basically a Dex-cool type product.

**You can not mix the two fluids. Major no no

EG= is change every 2 year or 30K miles like a normal person.

ELC= is every 5 year or 150K miles (as you stated)

Prestone Long Life is DEX-COOL and is NOT the same as the normal Toyota brand EG coolant.

Lexus supplied the ingredients of their coolant, again nothing special about it. Also their long life coolant is not long life nor is it like an ELC. Replace every 15,000 miles per the manual is should be called “of Toyota Short Life Coolant”

All Lexus owners manuals & Lexus scheduled maintenance guides (in the USA) say the coolant should be changed in the range of 30,000 - 60,000 miles or 2-5 years depending on year and model. That's why it's appropriately named Toyota Long Life Coolant.

The chemistry of Toyota Long Life Coolant is unique and special. It's the only antifreeze on the market that contains:

85-90% Ethylene Glycol and

less than 5% Diethylene Glycol

less than 5% hydrated inorganic acids and organic acid salts

less than 5% water

while at the same time being 100% free of silicates which are abrasive to

the water pump seal and 100% free of borates which can pit aluminum.

In other words, the 10-15% corrosion inhibitor chemistry of Toyota Long Life Coolant is unique and special. The 85-90% ethylene glycol part of Toyota coolant is not special because it's just the antifreeze part of the formula

The only other 100% silicate free antifreezes on the market are the Dexcool approved types like Havoline Extended Life Coolant. However, these use a different corrosion inhibitor chemistry than Toyota Long Life Coolant which can cause a wierd sludge like material to accumulate in the cooling system if the coolant is exposed to air past a weak radiator cap, low coolant level in the overflow jar or missing cap on the overflow jar. Here is an extreme case of the sludge which has been nick named "deathcool sludge" http://www.saber.net/~monarch/deathcool.jpg

If you run ANY EG coolant for 5 years, good luck.

As I originally posted about Toyota Long Life Coolant, it is not special never has been. What is so hard to get???? :chairshot:

Check out Heavy-duty anti-freezes that conform to a GM spec (6038M or 1899), ASTM D-4985 & ASTM D-6210. Again, Lexus is not special, nor has it ever been. They have been using the stuff (silicate free) for years in Peterbilt, Mach and International rigs/engines. If they comply to the proper GM spec it is fine for all alu and seals.

I do not see any chemical properties in PPM, SG, specific volume of Lexus coolant, so I do not know what the % means (in practice). I know about what Lexus supplied since I supplied the data, but again not “out of the norm” here at all.

Also you are incorrect with the silicate free. Again, many heavy duty coolants are silicate free. Hell I have been using the brand for over 10 years. Again, nothing new.

I am not getting mad, but the point is that Lexus/Toyota is nothing special or new. It is just normal EG based silicate free coolant, big deal. Again, I could tell you 10 different kinds that are out there. Just do some homework or stop at a rig dealership.

I just know this because diesels need low (<1%) to no silicate anti-freeze. I have known about this 10 years ago when I got my first diesel.

As I mentioned before, even if I had the 5 year / 150k mile stuff, I'd still do a complete cooling system flush every 2 years or 30k miles anyways. I'm not worried about the 15k mile thing thats been mentioned. I'd bet the ranch I will never have an overheating or any cooling issues ever the way I keep the car maintained. No worries. :D :)

I do my cars every 2-years also but the GSXR1100 and my diesel is once per year. The GSXR due to the high heat and the diesel due to the factor it cost more then a gas engine. Plus the fact, that diesels are more complex and $$$ to fix.

I should install a coolant filter.