Battery Light / Check VSC Light / Engine shut off

Dark Horse

Hello to all,

Can any of you counsel me on a matter?

2000 LS 400 with 143,000 miles. After an 8 mile ride pulling into my garage the red battery picture light illuminates. Car has had no issues starting and has been starting as usual since battery replacement 04/14. This morning, starts up normally no battery light and pull car out of my garage to clean a mild amount of corrosion on battery terminals. After doing so, car starts up normal, but my steering wheel doesn't drop, A/C does not turn on, and VSC check come on information panel. I shut off and restart. Steering wheel drops and A/C comes on, but with multiple warning lights on dash. I start to drive and engine starts to shut off intermittently. Then it shuts off altogether. I try to restart, but key just turns with no engine cranking. The car stopped running the next street over from my house. There was no power to roll up the driver's window, so I put a trickle charger on it. I was able to close the window and I still have it charging..

FWIW two weeks ago, one of my 3rd brake light bulbs went out. I did'nt have a 921 LL, but had a similiar smaller bulb. The similiar bulb works, but has a lower brightness and trips the information center with "Brake Light Failure". I can't see how this would be related, but you never know. I just haven't gotten around to getting the right bulb.

I surmise some type of low voltage issue, but what depleted the battery so quickly? My local dealer in FL is very expensive, and I just found meaningful full time employment after a couple of years, so I am no where near being flush.

I am grateful for any input.

After you get it home, and windows are up, doors closed and unlocked key is not in the ignition and in your pocket.  Disconnect both battery terminals and clean them and the ones on the battery, look on youtube to see how to do it. Make sure there is no corrosion hiding in the cable itself where it is pinched to the terminal clamp that fits onto the battery. Also make sure the ground wire is tight to the engine attachment point. Use some sort of battery terminal protectant (talk to auto parts store) and then put the cables back on and make sure they are tight. And if you get it running go to a auto parts store to have them check your alternator and battery.

Bob,

I have cleaned the terminals already. The car shut off due to a discharged battery (I surmise). I trickle charged the battery for and hour and it started. Battery symbol came on again. I called a neighbor and drove the car over to him. He put a meter on the battery and said the alternator was not charging. Today I am going to make calls to find out about pricing. I've got to try to fully charge the battery and hope it doesn't completely discharge while I am driving to the repair facility I choose to use. I have read that the way to go is a factory alternator.

Hi Craig, Thank you for your input. I've read where others recommend a Lexus re manufactured alternator. Is the Denso just as good? The Lexus one is $352 wholesale. There is also a plastic connector for $8 that plugs in the back of the alternator. I'm told that the connector could be the cause of the battery light coming on, as well because the alternator won't charge. If it needs an alternator I'll gladly go with the Denso if it is just as good as an OEM. Yesterday, I had my car brought to a repair facility that I was referred to close to my new job. They said they should know something by noon today. I'll post they find.

I am grateful for all the input from everyone. I have a power steering hose seeping fluid. Don't think this will affect the replacement alternator. I know the power steering pump is on top of the alternator. Ordered a Denso alternator from rockauto.com. I am having a technician from another division in my company install it when it arrives. I shall post the results.

Agreed. 4 1/2 years ago it got really cold and the car was parked outside. When I started the car the power steering was noisy, and it needed fluid. The Lexus dealer told me one of the hoses was leaking (seeping) $2,700 repair. When I asked why I could not detect any fluid on my garage floor, the dealer said it was leaking on the "frame rails". I have had to add minimal fluid since then. It could be possible the leak has all of a sudden gotten worse and that is what took out the alternator. I'll find out once the alternator is replaced (Denso to arrive today). I'll ask the person replacing it his thoughts.

Re-manufactured Denso alternator installed Friday. Working great so far. The power steering leak is coming from a hose near the pump. I am gong to ride it out for now. Thanks to everyone on this board. You people are great!

You might want to fabricate a protective cover for your alternator until you get the PS pump.   Some people have cut up plastic bleach bottles to do it.

I was once stranded when a leaking PS pump caused my alternator to fail.  I was on a trip - 200 miles from the nearest Lexus dealer - when it happened.  I made it to about 10 miles from the Lexus dealer when the engine died when the battery didn't have enough power to run it.  I was able to coast off the interstate highway into a convenience store parking lot.  I was lucky.