Suggestion needed for a high mileage LS430 purchase

nedear

Hello,

I'm new to the forum...soon will be an 2005 LS430 owner, I am going to purchase an used 2 owners with 145K+ miles, it's a clean Carfax records.  No accident or bad tittle, the selling dealer asking for $13000, upon test drive start engine master red trigangle warning is on, check engine is on, tract off and check VSC display in the message.

So I walk away and had the selling dealer to fix the problem, they told me yesterday car being look at and it's a bad O2 sensor and will be replace.  I will test drive the car this coming weekend, I need some input and suggestion what to pay attention to, I known the tranny is a sealed type may need to change the fluid.  The interior is super super nice and leather still really soft and no crack or wrinkle at all, but the rear power shade isn't working and the seller mention they will not replace it due to cost.

So...any inputs and commons greatly appreciated, this is my 1st Lexus so I hope it's a great start.  Thanks y'all in advance.

File0_027731_800600.jpg

Wow...no response?  I went and test drove today, the car drive fine but lots of suspension noise when go over bumps and road reflector, tire noise is really noticeable...may be tires are old (Michelin Primacy), also...the rear power sunshade is "dead", the front cool seat function only the passenger side is working, brake vibrate when applying lightly and shaking if push down fast.

So...I need help from those long time LS owners for input, Yay or Nay.  Thanks in advance.

Congratulations for looking at the LS430.  Since my 2003 LS430 has 250k on it and is still running great, I consider 145k just getting broken in.

IMHO, front end noise is a common fact of life on this car.  None of the 4 LS400s I owned had a noisy front end.  I've have all the rubber bits replaced twice in my current 2003 LS430 TWICE and it's squeeking again.

The O2 sensor will cause the yellow triangle, VSC and the CEL. Kinda weird it makes all those come on. While I strongly suggest you use an OEM O2 sensor I would NOT have a dealer do it.  It could also be the O2 sensor heater is/has failed. Especially if a catalytic converter is failing have a private shop do the work-$350 vs $1400.

See if they'll replace the O2 sensor but even if they don't I wouldn't let that scare me off (I'd have another mechanic check the codes to verify it's the O2 sensor codes showing).  As I recall, the OEM O2 sensor is $140USD.

IMHO, this series of LS has a "weak" transmission.  I have my transmission FLUSHED every 60k mi. and still had a transmission fail at 165K.

I wouldn't be afraid of the brake vibration. Look on the internet about "bedding" brakes and you can understand the most common reason for this vibration.  R1concepts.com used to have some really good tech articles about "bedding" and how to fix the vibration by re-bedding your pads (basically 5-6 full panic level braking to a stop from ~70mph or until you can smell the brakes. This procedure burns off the residues that are left behind by brake pads under light to medium braking)(and no it won't hurt anything).

Theres a little fan under each seat. Mine caught on fire when I didn't clean out the under-seat filter and it over heated.  I'm guessing the one from the passenger side would probably fit and I keep meaning to switch it over.......

LS's are amazingly good cars! 250k is the least I've ever put on one.  Just change the fluids faithfully with high quality products and these cars will last a very long time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Fatcat23 for you detail information, I didn't get this one...someone bought it on the weekend I  test drove it, Oh well...!!!

I found another one in a Lexus dealer 2005 Briarwood Pearl with 86xxxk miles, 2 owners but it's in great condition, although it's price higher than the white one but everything works, dealer refinished the front/rear bumper and it looks like one of those L/Certified on the lot.  They listed for $1999.88.

I got it OTD for $19k, the car has consistent service history at the dealer oil change / brakes / and previous owner did the timing belt, water pump, all fluid change in 2014 at 59k+ miles, all tires are Michelin Pilot A/S 3 still have tread of 8/32, brakes are new. 

I immediate do my own tuneup regardless what dealer listed "80k miles services" done, I checked...air filter is clogged, cabin filter full of pine pins, oil they did change but I drained out 6+ quarts, I replaced the cool seat filter which no one replace it for the pass 11+ years.  I put in 5 quart of Mobil 1 and it's night and day in engine performance, I also replaced ALL 8 spark plugs with the new type Denso iridium TT and the LS run completely effortless to get in/put freeway. 2 of the plugs near the firewall had black carbon all others are nice no carbon built up.

I will change the differential oil soon in the holiday weekend, the only oil I didn't touch is the ATF since the tranny run smooth and quiet.