So my trunk was really full and I tried opening my trunk today. Sometimes when it is full, I've had to use a lot of force. This time, something snapped and I no longer felt resistance when pulling the trunk latch. 

I removed the panels from the inside and took a look at the opening mechanism. The cable is still intact and i discovered how to open the trunk from the inside. However, there is no connection from the latch to the rest of the locking mechanism. When I used force, there was a part that broke. 

The first picture shows the part that is broken. The black rubber and plastic parts used to be one part. The elongated plastic part used to be inside the car, while the black plastic part used to be behind the latch on the outside of the car. The square hole near my thumb behind the latch is where the rubber used to sit. The last picture shows where the elongated black plastic part used to connect to. The last picture's orientation is looking up. The black plastic part used to lift the silver metal part extending the wire. The wire would then pull the golden part in the third picture to open the trunk. The fourth picture shows an overall picture. If you look carefully at the fourth picture, there is a black cable that runs down the cavity in the center of the trunk door. That is the same cable that pulls the golden part of the mechanism, opening the door. 

Essentially, the mechanism is no longer connected due to the broken part. The latch is not connected to the first part of the mechanism and thus, the second part of the mechanism is not working and I cannot open my door from the outside. Anyone know where I can get a replacement part and whether I can install it without opening any screws? 

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

I'm having the same issue.  How did you get it open? That's what I've been trying to figure out.

On 5/27/2016 at 10:31 AM, favoredwun said:

I'm having the same issue.  How did you get it open? That's what I've been trying to figure out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Faizmz
      Hi guys
      I own a 2003 RX300 which never had given me any trouble so far. I had another driver telling me one day that I have no brake lights what so over. I thought it is just bulbs so I replaced the third light bulb and still no brake light.
      I did some search and discovered about the brake light module which located within the panel at trunk on the driver side as per this video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdEh4SugCw
      It says that I could try a jumper solution at 2:48 which I did.
      This is when things get interesting. After I tried this, the brake light did come on when I stepped on the brake but I lost other lights (turn indicators, reverse and rear lights). 
      At the same time I also lost power windows and the heat.
      I tried soldering every component on the brake light module, thinking it might be bad connections but still I have the same problem (no heat, no power window, no rear lights except brake).
      The power windows make no sound what so ever, so my guess is there is no power flows through the system at all. Nothing also happened at the display when I pressed the climate control button. The display works as the radio and CD is on.
      My guess is this was caused by me jumping the connectors at the brake light module? 
      I checked the fuses with multimeter on the left side of the steering wheel inside the car and they all show continuity. Not sure if they are other way to check the fuses or maybe there are other fuses I should check?
      I can't be driving this car at the moment without heat (it is -20 here) as well no lights are working at the moment.
      I appreciate very much any help I can get with this!
      Thanks!

• By FinallyFree
      Retiring at 68 and thinking of selling my Honda Odyssey and getting a true Luxury car; a Lexius.  Zeroing in on an older ES 350 or RX.  Maybe even a Hybrid one.
      So, I ask you experienced Lexus owners, is this a bad Idea for a single woman who can’t fix her own car?  And the closest Lexus shop is 2 hours away? 

I’d like to keep the price around 25,000 or less.  

Thank you for any insights, advice, etc
      Pam
    • By Robshow
      I installed a Rutech bypass and block off plates and my initial check engine light went out.  A day later I get the P0418 error telling me relay A is bad or there is faulty wiring etc.  
      Does anyone know where the SAIS relay is located for P0418?  I have been searching to the point of insanity. :)

thank you 

2006 Gx470 4.7l
    • By Kie
      Hi!
      Have any you guys had a problem with the Rack&Pinion?
      I went to the car service around my house(Knoxville, TN). They told me mine is leaking and needs to be changed. 
      I'm having a hard time deciding to change or not because it cost like 1500$
      Do any of you have recommendations or any other place I should have service?

Thanks!