Burned Out Lights In The Dash

alanc

1996 LX450 - 100250 miles

So over the past two months, :censored: 80% of the lights in the climate controls and radio have burned out. Seems they were all engineered to last the same length of time.

These are the lights that glow at night when the headlights are on.

I took the dash apart and located all the bulbs, many screw out and should be easy to replace. However, there are 12 small lights on the radio that are soldered in place :cries: , 10 of the 12 are burned out. Has anyone replaced these? How? Is it an easy job if you only have limited experience with a soldering iron?

Thanks for any feedback.

:cheers:

~97 LX 450 with 150k on it , ;)

Yea i been replaced all the instruments lights by myself, u just gotta take precautions & passion when u take all the dash, center panel off, make sure u

remember when later on u out them back in right place.

Mostly the bulb u just gotta order it from Toyota dealers, most dealers im pretty sure they dont have that tiny bulbs in stock.

Last time i replaced all my dashboadrs tiny bulbs included automatic trans lights

now all of them very bright just like new car :D

Good Luck~

• 5 months later...

I have a couple of lights that have burned out in my instrument cluster, do you have the steps needed to get at the back of the cluster? or have an idea of how much it would cost to have the dealer replace them all?

Thanks.

do a search at this site www.ih8mud.com.  restrict the search to 80 series tech.  you should find the answer there.

Thanks, it took a while but I found what I was looking for. It appears that there are quite a few people with the same problem, the "D" light out in the cluster.

Now, I'll have to consider whether or not to try to replace it now that I know how.

FWIW, my "D" light has been out for about a year now. I haven't found it worth my time to fix it. Since it's the only one that's out, I don't have to worry about getting confused of mixed up about anything -- no light on the display means I'm in "D". If others start going out, I'll look into tearing the dash apart to get at the lights. That said, given how seldom the other lights are on, I doubt I'll ever need to do this.

Glad you were able to find the info.

Cheers.

1996 LX450 - 100250 miles

So over the past two months,  :censored: 80% of the lights in the climate controls and radio have burned out.  Seems they were all engineered to last the same length of time.

These are the lights that glow at night when the headlights are on.

I took the dash apart and located all the bulbs, many screw out and should be easy to replace.  However, there are 12 small lights on the radio that are soldered in place  :cries: , 10 of the 12 are burned out.  Has anyone replaced these?  How?  Is it an easy job if you only have limited experience with a soldering iron?

Thanks for any feedback.

Some of my lights are burned out as well. How hard was it to take the dash apart?

JAZ

Actually it wasnt really hard at all, most of tools you need to use is philip screwdriver , also the climate control you just have to take the center piece off and the disconnect the whole wiring socket. Easy & Simple things to do but need to spend time.

Not very hard to remove the control panel. There's a useless plastic slot/chubby hole above the stereo. It has two plastic tabs on the inside of it. Use a screwdriver and gentlely pry the tabs just enough that they allow you to pull this piece out. Behind that piece there are two (IIRC) screws. Then remove the ash tray and there are two screws there. Then carefully pop the clips free around the edge. Just be careful when applying force to the panel. You don't want to break it.

Rookie

Actually it wasnt really hard at all, most of tools you need to use is philip screwdriver , also the climate control you just have to take the center piece off and the disconnect the whole wiring socket. Easy & Simple things to do but need to spend time.

I went home at lunch and messed around with it and popped the climate control plate off it is about 7" X 7". It exposed the buttons a little more and I was able to pop off the individual buttons exposing the round led light and the tiny rectangular led light beneath it. I was wondering if I would be able to pull it out to replace it. I did not try because I did not want to break anything. It looks like if I had some small tweezers I could just pull the individual light out. I stopped thinking it might be one whole piece for all the buttons. What do you guys think. Another light I think might be out is the manual up and down button for the antenna. Is there a light in there also? I have a 1996 lx450.

Thanks!

Remember behind the 7"x7" climate control u must to loosen/disconnect all the plug such as rear defog switch , etc...

All of them comes in bulb and some of them very tiny when you order those bulbs from dealer none of them is stock gotta have special order.And most of the time people work for the the parts @ dealer , they're (dumb) dont know what doing.

U gotta be specify to tell them them , otherwise u dont want endup order wrong bulbs.

GoodLuck

...There's a useless plastic slot/chubby hole above the stereo...

Rookie

That's where your cup holder is supposed to be. What's up? No cupholder in yours? ;)

Hehe..., my buddy raises hell about it when we load up and go to the river. He knows I'm to cheap to spend $50 so he won't have to hold his beverage. Besides he ain't drink coca-colas, and that spot's a little too high and visible for C.B.'s to be setting.

I'll probably break down and get one, one of these days.

Rookie2