Intagrated Phone

does anyone have the intagrated phone ?? my 98 gs400 has it, it has never been activated or used.. i am wondering if i can get my verizon cell # linked to it?? anyone know any info about these phones.. i know it has some service codes that have to be entered so it can be used..

The phone in your GS is probably an analog phone. I assume you do not have the Sprint phone that was in some of the newer cars. Most cellular companies will not turn on service to an analog phone anymore. That being the case, your phone will only be good for dialing 911.

great question,

i have the same deal. the dealer told me it is basically oblosete so i want to remove the bracket which connects behind the a/c control face plate.

how do i remove that plate without breaking anything so i can get at the bracket screws?

HotBlue400,

Have you spoken to Verizon about getting service for your phone? You might try searching this forum and reading about other's experiences. If you already have a Verizon phone, they might be willing to provide analog service in a multi-phone plan at a reduced cost. Some in this or other Lexus forums have said that they call forward their handheld digital phone to their Lexus phone while driving. In the current competitive environment, cell phone companies can be very flexible depending on who you talk with and how you approach them.

You might consider using a car kit with a handheld phone -- choose carefully if you think you are going to change phones frequently. For example we haved used Nokia CARK-91H kits in our cars for quite a few years and, at least so far, Nokia continues to offer compatible handsets. (We can voice dial and incoming/outgoing calls mute the radio.) Companies like Cellport offer car kits with interchangable handset cradles but they are expensive and their dealer base is spotty. Nokia is about to introduce interchangable handset cradles too. And then there are the Bluetooth kits - a whole other subject.

The U.S. seemes to be headed towards GSM like most of the rest of the world. However, the last time I checked, Verizon offered no GSM phones in the Kansas City area. My corporate CDMA Verizon LG VX4400B is cute but has pathetic talk and standby times compared to my personally owned Cingular Nokia 6340i tri-mode GSM/TDMA/analog phone which has far longer talk/standby times and can be used in rural areas where analog still prevails.

I continue to be amazied at how few people know what protocol (GSM, CDMA, TDMA, etc.) their phones use since it makes such a huge difference in how, where, and how long (on the battery) their phones can be used.

its a tough choice.. i mean my the phone is already mounted in the center console, plus it has the controls on the steering wheel for it; plus it has this little phone pad thing next to the heated seat switches.. i know that it runs throught the stereo, thats why i am trying to find a way to use the excisting wiring that goes to the speakers. it would be nice to use the steering wheel controls too. does anyone know how to unlock the phones? when i turn it on it just says locked.

HotBlue400,

Many have mentioned wanting to use the Lexus steering wheel phone command module with a non-Lexus phone but no one has demonstrated success. I am currently trying to buy a command model for my 00 LS to see if I can "pin" the connections to control just three functions on my Nokia car kit: scroll phone list up, scroll phone down, and send. I advertised on the "buy and sell" for a command module but no one replied. I hope to get a response from a Lexus dealer today. I bought a wiring harness from the U.K. company Dashmount that is supposed to interface a Nokia car kit (others with an adaptor) to the Lexus/Toyota audio system but it did not work on my Nachamichi which has different connectors. I realized later that this harness should work on a 98-00 LS with the standard radio or with Nav. PM me if you want to discuss or we can discuss it here.

The following link is to how I installed a Nokia kit in my 00 LS. I'll bet your GS has the same connector in the console to which you could attach a car kit's mute wire to mute the radio when a call comes in.

http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/phone/Nok...H%20install.doc

If no one response here you could ask a Lexus dealer how to unlock your phone?

• 8 months later...
HotBlue400,

Many have mentioned wanting to use the Lexus steering wheel phone command module with a non-Lexus phone but no one has demonstrated success.  I am currently trying to buy a command model for my 00 LS to see if I can "pin" the connections to control just three functions on my Nokia car kit: scroll phone list up, scroll phone down, and send.  I advertised on the "buy and sell" for a command module but no one replied.  I hope to get a response from a Lexus dealer today.  I bought a wiring harness from the U.K. company Dashmount that is supposed to interface a Nokia car kit (others with an adaptor) to the Lexus/Toyota audio system but it did not work on my Nachamichi which has different connectors.  I realized later that this harness should work on a 98-00 LS with the standard radio or with Nav.  PM me if you want to discuss or we can discuss it here. 

The following link is to how I installed a Nokia kit in my 00 LS.  I'll bet your GS has the same connector in the console to which you could attach a car kit's mute wire to mute the radio when a call comes in.

http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/phone/Nok...H%20install.doc

If no one response here you could ask a Lexus dealer how to unlock your phone?

I also have a 98 GS 400 with navigation and integrated phone. I know what you mean I would also like to get it working. If possible to my nextel. Or even service from anyone. If anyone finds out if it is even possible to get it to work let me know because it would suck just to have it there for nothing. Thanks

You are probably better off finding a bluetooth kit with a small 4 ohm speaker. I know it is nice that the radio would mute when in a call but you may avoid tons of work by just getting a kit that would just need ignition & battery to run besides with bluetooth you would avoid the network difference dilema TDMA is obsolete, CDMA offers thru Verizon MOT V710 and GSM offers a great variety of BT phones starting about $100.

:cheers: