How do I see Text Msgs on My Navi Screen

I just bought a 2013 RX350 F Sport with Navi.  I have an Iphone 6 Plus. Verizon is my carrier.  From reading, I understand that the Navi is supposed to support the reading of incoming text messages but I cannot get them to appear.  I've turned on "Show Notifications" in my settings.  Is there something else I need to do to get them to appear on the Navi screen?  Do I need to have a specific screen selected on the Navi to see them?  I'm technically pretty good but I can't seem to get this to work.  I feel like I'm missing something simple.  

Can anyone help please?

Thank You.

I had to google something like "Enform Entune iphone text messages" to find information that jogged my memory on how I got it to work with my wife's iphone 6 in our Prius.

The key was to set "show notifications"  to "ON" in the iPhone Bluetooth settings in the profile for the vehicle.  So, after your iPhone is connected to your RX350, select your RX's profile in Bluetooth settings and then set the "slider" for Show Notifications to ON.

From what I've read, iphone does not support sending text message responses and we've never gotten that to work on our Prius.  My Samsung S5 (Android) can send text message responses..

Thank You for your response but I already did this.  (see my original post) ... I guess my question is .. do texts just pop up on whatever navi screen you are on at the time or do you have to choose a specific screen to see incoming texts?

Duh, should have read your post.  Yes, there should be a chime when an incoming message comes in but not for previously unread messages. 

Press the off hook button on the steering wheel and then the messages button on the in-dash screen to see a list of existing messages.  At least that is how in works with an Android phone. .. probably similar for iPhone.

If the messages button is grayed out the messages aren't getting transferred from your phone to the in-dash system.

Thanks .. finally got it working ... I was testing it by sending a text to myself ... found out it just doesn't work that way .. when I received a legitimate text from someone else, it showed up just fine ... tnx much for helping.

Alan