Keyless Entry Distance

Here are my suggestions (as an owner of three SC's):

Replace the battery... go to RadioShack, this is one of few instances where they CAN help you without ripping you off.

Hold the button for a full second, then release. Hastily pressing the button seems to not work all the time.

My keyless entries usually works from a full car-length away (although not GREAT, it is adequate). I have, however, gotten them to work at much farther distances, when trees and/or other cars are not littered around.

Good luck!

Radio Shack? Really? I thought the key or alarm or whatever had to be reprogrammed when a battery was changed. Or did I get the wrong impression from an earlier posting and discussion? If Radio Shack can do, it sure eliminates a problem for me. Thanks.

That very same thing was driving me nuts, so I went to a local audio shop and had them install an aftermarket alarm system, now it works across the parking lot, the lights flash, and it chirps. The aftermarket alarm actually offers some degree of protection between the starter kill and shock sensor. I turned off the factory keyless entry with the small switch by the trunk pop and gas door opener. Everything works perfectly... I love it. Only cost a few hundred too.

Contacted a locl Clifford dealer. Posed following

1. Extend range of current unit. Reply no

2. Install remote trunk open Reply only if electric trunk opener installed

3. Turn on inside lights remotely Reply only if current KLE turns on lights

4. Remote start Reply Yes

My take.

If all of the above is true, and based on replies to post it would appear the best approach would be to disable the current KLE and instal a new multi function unit

(KLE, Lights,RmtStart,...)

Comments

I have found that replacing the battery helps get it back to its former youthful strength. (the service guys walk out the door and hit the panic button and wait for the lights and horn to find the cars for service. I have seen them work 50 yards or so on a new car. Drives the neighbors crazy.)

Nothing could be easier than changing the battery. I think it is a CR1616 available at any drug store, Radio Shack, etc. You just need a really small phillips head screwdriver. Buy a set of these screwdrivers at Sears (about $6) and take out the single screw on the key. Inside there is a squarish cartridge which pops out and has two more screws to remove. Open gently and don't disturb the o-ring. Flip out the battery and replace keeping the polarity correct. Reassemble, etc. While you have it apart you will notice that there is a lot of assorted dirt, mung, flug, etc in the key. I always clean it out just for good practice. I have been quoted $30 to $50 for this service at the dealers although some will do it for free while you have a cup of their capuccino.

Ther are a lot of urban myths regarding how to hold the key for greatest range. As you can see, the actual active part is not connected to the key blade at all. In fact the cartridge will function fine outside the key.

Even when brand new, the keyless entry on my 90 LS rarely worked from much more than about one or two car lengths away and it was subject to interference (the dealer thought is from shopping center alarm systems) that sometimes prevented it from working at all. The keyless entry in the later cars apparently have a much longer range. I can unlock my 2000 LS and open the trunk from 25 to 50 yards away. I found that holding the key over the rear window of my 90 LS when I pressed the button worked best.

funny stuff: although I never tried this with the stock keyless entry, i've found that if i press the new remote to the upper part of my neck, I get tons of extra range. I'm not kidding, it really works. Try it for yourself, as you're approaching your car, hold the remote to your neck and press the button. When you hear the locks open, take it away from your neck and try to lock it again, it wont work :D Do it when there's nobody watching though, they might look at you funny. I guess your body acts as an antenna or something.

Radio Shack? Really? I thought the key or alarm or whatever had to be reprogrammed when a battery was changed. Or did I get the wrong impression from an earlier posting and discussion? If Radio Shack can do, it sure eliminates a problem for me. Thanks.

Changing the battery on removing it for a long time has NO effect on the cars ability to respond to the remote. The car is progammed to the remote's internal code. :rolleyes: