98 LS400 delayed response

joncurry94

Hello everyone, been a long while since I have posted on here. 

Recently pulled the trans pan from my 98 LS400, changed the fluid out (it was really dark and smelled awful, not sure when the last time it was changed was) and read up on the fix for p0763 shift solenoid c. I fixed that issue and the code is no longer there after cleaning the trans and putting all new T-IV fluid in. No leaks from what I have determined thus far. I made sure that it was filled up to cool after cycling P - L both ways. I even went ahead and d/c the battery to clear the ECU. I was receiving error codes p0420 and p0430 as well, but they seem to come and go. Now that 0763 is taken care of, the trans runs incredibly smooth and performs better than it has since I have owned it. However, upon starting up and going from P to R or D, sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds for the car to automatically go forwards or backwards. And in some cases, I have to give it gas up to 1200 RPM just to get it to finally move. Any ideas? 

8 minutes ago, billydpowell said:

that is not normal.. it has a problem mine is "right now"

Generally mine would be too. It's not consistent right now, though. Sometimes if I pop it into D or R it immediately goes. It's sporadic. I haven't been able to drive it a whole lot since I did the fluid, perhaps driving it will resolve it? 

I had the chance to start it up today and check it out some. Let it sit for a few minutes, same response. I noticed I have a very tiny leak coming from my trans pan. But could this be the culprit? If so I suppose that makes the real culprit for not sealing the trans pan better. 

Here is a video of what is going on

It could be the fluid is low, it could be there is an oring for the screen that is not sealing. A leak will at a point cause the fluid to be too low. It could be a tc drain back valve is leaking, because of clean fluid. I am more with the low fluid and or sucking some air O ring deal.

Fluid at operating temp, level car, and engine running at idle in park to check the fluid level.

2 hours ago, Exhaustgases said:

It could be the fluid is low, it could be there is an oring for the screen that is not sealing. A leak will at a point cause the fluid to be too low. It could be a tc drain back valve is leaking, because of clean fluid. I am more with the low fluid and or sucking some air O ring deal.

Fluid at operating temp, level car, and engine running at idle in park to check the fluid level.

Pretty set on low fluid level. Found a leak for sure, going to redo the trans pan but this time with a gasket. 

I went thru the same thing Jon. 1998 LS400 and leaking pan gasket. Then it would not go into gear for a few seconds. 

Short story, it was low on fluid by about 1/2 quart.

Read this post -> 

16 hours ago, landar said:

I went thru the same thing Jon. 1998 LS400 and leaking pan gasket. Then it would not go into gear for a few seconds. 

Short story, it was low on fluid by about 1/2 quart.

Read this post -> 

Thank you, I may very well have bent it, I had to use a prybar because it would not come off. I will check it out, I may just reseal it with some permatex.

• 3 weeks later...