CEL and cliemate control issues please help

Hello,

My 2002 ES300, 97.5k miles is giving CEL. I went to local store and retrieved codes

C0205

C1223

C1241

P0440

Can 'C' code produce CEL, or is it just P0440. I read somewhere that 'C' codes are from past battery removal etc. Which I changed last year. So not sure which codes I should be looking at.

Is P0440 related to gas cap only? I have original gas cap, Is there a way to clean it properly, or Should I just get new gas cap and hopefully it will go away in few days?

Also, i noticed past few months that my climate control 'auto' setting is acting weird. The Heat and CA both are working fine, but  Auto set to 72 keeps car cold whne outside is below 72 (or even 30/40), on the other hand, when outside is warm, 70, Auto set to even 78/80 keeps car extremely cold, as if it was set to 60 :-(

I have other toyota vehicle, and I can see vast difference in inside temperature.

Is this some servo problem? Where to look? 

Thanks and appreciate your response.

S

marathiboy,

The C0205 and the C1223 codes are related. The C0205 says that your left front wheel speed sensor is malfunctioning (dirty wiring connector/ broken wire/or needs replacing. If you get it working the C1223 code will also go away because it says the ABS system is not working (because the wheel speed sensor doesn't send a signal).

The P0440 says that your evaporator emissions control system is malfunction. Yes a bad gas cap will give that code, but with the age of your car you most likely have a split rubber hose from the gas tank to the evaporator canister somewhere. Its possible the canister is cracked from old age as well.

As for the climate control, try this that I found on another forum:

Look under the driver side of the lower inst panel for a small vent looking thing. Behind this is the "sniffer" for the cabin temp. This item is routinely omitted from being reinstalled properly. I'll bet that it is not attached to the lower panel

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

marathiboy,

Check that the ECU-B fuse under the hood is good.( Found this similar problem on another Toyota product from the same generation and a replacement fuse cured the issue. Maybe it will work for you as well?)