Stock sub specs?

I am gutting the stock audio system and adding an aftermarket headunit. I know this will knock out the stock sub so i plan on adding an aftermarket amp to power the stock sub for now. Anyone done this? What amp should i get? Anyone have specs on the stock sub as to what it runs rms and max wattage? I've got the basic stock system now thanks!

I don't know why your aftermarket head unit has to "knock out the stock sub".  In 2013, I had Best Buy install a double DIN Kenwood DDX using the OEM amp in the 2000 LS400 I sold in 2014 and all the original speakers including the stock sub worked perfectly.  The installer didn't use a conversion harness and didn't cut a single wire in the car's audio wiring harness. 

All the reading I've done I haven't come across a way to keep the stock amp without also keeping the stock headunit somehow. I have GS so maybe stuff was different in the LS vs. the GS?

13 hours ago, heybro said:

All the reading I've done I haven't come across a way to keep the stock amp without also keeping the stock headunit somehow. I have GS so maybe stuff was different in the LS vs. the GS?

All I know is that the Best Buy installer did it on my LS even though almost everyone on Lexus forums said it couldn't be done.  I supplied the installer with the complete audio system diagram.  The installer was even an LS430 driver!

24 minutes ago, heybro said:

Well if you run across that guy ask him how he pulled it off and share with the community :)

The installer fabricated an interface harness that he put between the Kenwood head unit and the OEM amp.  The install he did for me was child's play compared to the incredible audio/video system he had installed in his own LS430.  The installation cost was only $125 which included the custom made interface harness but of course didn't include the Kenwood unit and the dash kit.

Maybe a professional installer can help you - these guys do this stuff all day long. 

• 1 year later...