?NX with LEXUS SAFETY +

I am puzzled that there are so few NX200t available with the LEXUS SAFETY + features. I currently have an RX350 and am looking seriously, as in have test driven, the NX200t. My local dealer, with 40+ NX's on the lot, has NONE. They were able to locate one in Seattle but it had upholstery that was too light. Almost EVERY new RX350 on the lot has this package as does almost every ES350. I have looked at the websites of dealers all over the country, from the Bay Area to Chicago, to Boston, to Palm Springs, and LA and have not found a SINGLE NX200t with the safety package (pre-collision braking, adaptive cruise, blind spot, cross traffic alert, lane departure alert). These are all features that Consumer Reports recommends for new cars and are theoretically "available" on the NX200t. I can purchase an Acura RDX, Mercedes GLC, or a Subaru Outback today, locally, with all these features. I wonder if there was a design or other problem with this on the NX200t. Does anyone have any ideas around this dilemma? I'd really like to purchase an NX200t but will not commit to over $40k for a car in 2016 that does not have this essential feature set. Thanks for any advice. I have driven RX's since 1999 and am frustrated.

Toyota has capacity and supply limitations like any other company and can't necessarily implement revisions on all models at the same rates.  I suspect that Safety System+ is being implemented on the RX at a higher rate since purchasers of more expensive vehicles are less "price sensitive" to the additional cost - that is a very common implantation strategy.  Remember that these features were originally available only on the most expensive vehicles Toyota makes.

If you want these features now, don't quibble about the "too light" upholstery and buy that NX in Seattle.  Or wait until the NX with Safety System+ is more readily available.  Or buy another RX - one that has Safety System+.

Toyota has committed to making these features available on all models regardless of price but it is going to take a few years to make it happen.

• 4 weeks later...

1990LS400, you sound like a Toyota apologist. When I'm paying north of US$45kin 2016, I don't think it's unreasonable to have essential safety features and the color upholstery I want. You're right in that the message is clear, they don't want to sell that particular car, whatever the reason, the market speaks. I've decided to wait, my current RX is running just fine, I don't really drive that much as I'm a retired bum, so we'll see. If you have young children or grandchildren, you'll understand why "creme" upholstery is a disaster waiting to happen.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, slodriver said:

1990LS400, you sound like a Toyota apologist. When I'm paying north of US$45kin 2016, I don't think it's unreasonable to have essential safety features and the color upholstery I want. You're right in that the message is clear, they don't want to sell that particular car, whatever the reason, the market speaks. I've decided to wait, my current RX is running just fine, I don't really drive that much as I'm a retired bum, so we'll see. If you have young children or grandchildren, you'll understand why "creme" upholstery is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm only explaining reality.  I was surprised that the local Lexus dealer could not find a single white short wheel base LS460 with PCS and DRCC in a nationwide search in early 2014.  I was flexible on everything except exterior color and that it had to have the equivalent of Safety System+. 

It's not just Toyota.  In the same 2014 time frame, we special ordered a white Acura MDX SH-AWD with safety features equivalent to (really better than) Safety System+.  We gave up on that and got our money back when there was a parts supply shortage that caused the delivery date to slip by several months with no guarantee that it would be built even then.

I knew a guy - no longer "with us" -who had to wait almost a year to get his special order Mercedes S-class sedan built and shipped to Michigan and he was even a Unimog dealer.

I eventually ended up special ordering a white Toyota Sienna Limited with the Advanced Technology Package (PCS, DRCC, VDIM, etc.), blind spot monitor and cross traffic alert and waiting for it to be built and shipped.  It wasn't my first choice but I like it a lot - very Lexus-like with ottoman 2nd row and electrically reclining 3rd row.

Maybe you could be more flexible.  You could wait for your perfect NX or buy something else that has the features you want.  Get that Mercedes GLC - that would be "educational" as this three-time Mercedes owner can attest.

Dark color upholstery gets just as dirty as light color upholstery.  One of the reasons I prefer light color upholstery is that I want it to be obvious when it needs cleaning - I don't like sitting on filth whether I can see it or not.

I was retired once - didn't like it ... went back to work full time.

• 5 weeks later...