Starting Twice

Hello.

I've had my 1999 ES300 for almost a year now and what I haven't been able to figure out just yet is one of the issues I'm having. SOMETIMES, not all the time, but sometimes when I start my car, it won't start until you try it a second time. I have had a tuneup, my mechanic/cousin noticed the starter was replaced and there's nothing wrong with the spark plugs. I've replaced the knock sensors, Variable Valve Timing Solenoid (2) and two of the O2 sensors since having the car. So I'm not completely sure what the issue could be at this point. 

Hey Mike,

What type of gasoline do you use? 91 and Top Tier? AND, in Massachusetts, during the winter they fuel companies are required to dispense a oxygenated winter blend which typically results in about a 10% decrease in fuel economy and perhaps your issue. Before you do any big replacement expenses, run a few bottle of the GOOD complete fuel system cleaner (about $8-$10) through your tank. I also add an alcohol inhibitor to my fuel as the alcohol just does terrible things to engines. 

Since I spend some time in Massachusetts, I do know that you are paying through the nose for fuel. 

Denny

2 minutes ago, VBdenny said:

Hey Mike,

What type of gasoline do you use? 91 and Top Tier? AND, in Massachusetts, during the winter they fuel companies are required to dispense a oxygenated winter blend which typically results in about a 10% decrease in fuel economy and perhaps your issue. Before you do any big replacement expenses, run a few bottle of the GOOD complete fuel system cleaner (about $8-$10) through your tank. I also add an alcohol inhibitor to my fuel as the alcohol just does terrible things to engines. 

Since I spend some time in Massachusetts, I do know that you are paying through the nose for fuel. 

Denny

I use 87 mostly. I only try to use premium once in a while. I was told Premium has fuel system cleaner inside of it, which is why it costs more, but I'm not an expert with things like that. Do you need to fully empty your tank before you buy the fuel system cleaner though? or does it matter?

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the delay. I've been on travel and don't carry my computer. Since I can't remember my password, I can only access LOC when I'm home.  Regarding Premium fuel, the difference is not in the additives or detergents as much as the octane rating which cause Premium fuel to burn slower than lower octane fuels. High performance engine generally use higher compression engines which compress (and heat) the combustable fuel air mixture more requiring a slower burning fuel to achieve optimum performance. In the old days, cars would often suffer from  such maladies as pre-ignition (knocking) and Dieseling (or run on) which often caused severe engine damage (things like holes burned in pistons and valves melted). Luckily, modern engines are managed by computers and not mechanical presets so when a lower octane fuel is used, your computer simply makes your car run less efficiently by retarding the engine timing and probably several other things so you engine won't be damaged.  For the price, Premium is a good investment IF your car requires Premium, if not, it is a waste of money.

Adding fuel system cleaner can be done with at least 10 gallons. Check your tank size and just add one bottle at next fill-up. Also a good idea to floor it once in awhile to clean out cobwebs. 

Top Tier fuels are also well worth the extra as these contain a certified and standardized amount of additives to the fuel and these are the additive left out of bargain fuels. Pay now, or pay later with clogged throttle body and Idle Air Control valves.

Denny