Radio power feed completely dead.

mikaelse

Hi guys. I have 1995 LS400 100k miles with the pioneer radio with CD changer. Radio function is dead. I have checked the two Radio fuses and they are ok and 12 V is present at the fuses.
I can hear the CD changer working a bit when CD pack is inserted.  I have looked inside the radio and can see that it has been exchanged for a repaired one at some time.
Half sloppy resistor work and exchange unit markings.  

However all power and earth to radio on C-connector is non present in the connector to the radio. Hence Radio unit could be fully functional if power is fixed. 

C14 = not earthed  C1 and C6 no power no matter where ignition key is.
All other stuff in car works except seat heaters.  Cigarette lighter also works so AM1 fuse and AM1 switch in ignition should be ok . 

I have previously removed the telephone stuff from trunk and reconnected the two large connectors and also disconnected the telephone stuff between the seats as recommended. Did that before I noticed the dead power feed to the radio.  

Multiple errors it seems. Very strange.

Often these type seemingly several uncorrelated errors have a common cause.  Does the connector have a mate disconnected or with bad corrosion at other end?.
Car is in nice condition with good original paint and no rust to mention. Have not yet seen any connectors with problems . Not even in engine compartment.

Any help appreciated.

Mikael

Best is to go for a new head unit, after heavy rain here in UAE, somehow water entered in the trunk and touched some circuit and boom!. Now my radio sometimes works sometimes not, when it works the sound is crystal clear but the volume knob does not work but sometimes it works

Heard kenwood DDX 470 head unit works with the car amplifier and also with the woofer...

Hi All. 

I have no power to the unit coming in in connector in the back but the two fuses are ok and give 12 V in fuse boxes. 

That is the mystery. 

Hence there is no indication that my Radio unit is defective.

Mikael

Did you checked with a multimeter that there is no power coming to the head unit?.. try to pull out the head unit and try to connect it directly with the battery you will come to know where the problem is, either the radio will work or if it does not there is a problem with the unit.... in case it works then it might take a lot of time to track from where the wires are damaged/cut

Since you already checked all the fuses then the problem might be in the wiring

• 2 months later...

Do not know.  Mine could not be that though. 
The connector with power feed from car to radio was dead with no 12V voltage at all.  Feels like wire is cut somewhere . I guess any code issue would be handled by the radio unit itself.