Driving in manual mode

Hi everyone,

Not sure if it's a problem or just a different set up on different models.

Operating the 2013 RX F Sport in manual mode, coming to a complete stop the transmission would automatically downshift to 1-st gear, regardless of the gear selected prior to stop.

The 2015 model, the vehicle remains in the selected gear coming to a complete stop. Which is a little annoying, having to move the shift lever several times to bring it to 1-st gear prior to moving again.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, jamesm182 said:

Have you tried holding the shift lever several times to see if it drops back to 1st? Failing that you could always gradually shift down the gears as you come to a stop, like you would in a proper manual?

Thank you for this suggestion but that's not what my question is about. My apologies if i was not clear.

Your suggestion would implement, using the shift lever to select appropriate gear for the right speed.

My question is regarding the transmission automatically downshifting to 1-st gear when coming to a complete stop. The F-Sport I drove before did just that.

As an example, you're operating the vehicle in a manual mode in 4th gear. All of a sudden you had to stop to avoid collision and did not downshift your transmission.

Now, imagine you need to accelerate immediately to get out of harms way, in order to do this you would need to bring you transmission to 1-st gear, which would require moving your shift lever 4(four) times, a little inconvenient when every second counts. 

Finally,  why on some models the transmission downshifts automatically while others it does not. Is it indeed a problem with a transmission or just a different set up.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, jamesm182 said:

I don't think it will be a problem - just a different set up as you say.

Did you try holding the down shifter to see if that drops down to 1st for you?

Yes, tried it yesterday. Did not work. Stayed in selected gear when stopped. 

Do you have a 6 or 8 speed transmission, and do you have paddles?

Section 2 of the user manual describes how everything works:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM48D65U/pdf/OM48D65U.pdf

From what I can see, when you are in manual mode you are in fact selecting the "highest gear restriction" e.g. if you have gear 4 selected then the car is able to use gears 1 to 4 so it's not fully manual. This therefore means if you pull up at the lights in 4th, the car will still be able to use gears 1 - 4 and will accelerate away normally.

Hope this makes sense.

It's a 6 speed transmission. I believe 8 speed transmission as well as paddle switches were only offered on F Sport models.

Accelerating from a stop, with the transmission in anything higher then 1-st gear is just the issue at hand. 

If you ever drove a car with manual transmission you would know this feeling. If not, it feels like your engine is simply out of breath or has no power when you press the accelerator pedal. 

It's imperative to begin moving in first gear in manual mode.  You could get away with accelerating in 2-nd gear but it would be a painfully long acceleration. 

To confuse this issue evermore, the 2013 F Sport downshifted to 1-st gear automatically when stopped, while the 2015 does not do this. So before talking to the dealer wanted to ask you guys.

Dealer would almost likely say it's not an issue or ask to leave the vehicle overnight to return it later with a claim the issue could not be verified. Been there done that many times before.

• 2 months later...

Something does not sound right in your situation.  These trannys have a "manual mode", but are not actual paddle-shift trannies. In other words, you can operate the shift manually, but the computer will prevent you from doing anything dangerous, or damaging to the transmission.  Example:  If you are traveling in 4th gear and come to a stop, the computer should not allow you to pull away in 4th gear.  Likewise, if you are doing 70MPH, and decided to manually shift to 1st or 2nd, the computer will not let you do that. If the former is what is happening, I would have the dealer check it out.

• 7 years later...

My 2019 RC350 F sport will allow me to shift in automatic made using the paddle shifter. Going down hill, for example, in automatic mode, using the paddle shifter I can downshift. Is this normal?