6th Gen ES vs 5th Gen: ride quality

bostonsnow

Its about time for me to upgrade my 4th Gen (2005) ES 330. I'm going to go with another ES or ESh, I think (the other possibility would be going to a GS)

Most important to me in a car is comfort and the traditional, time honored soft/plush lexus ride. I've been reading multiple reviews indicating that the 6th Generation has a firmer ride than prior generations. So I'm almost tempted to get a pre-owned 5thgeneration 2012 model just to get the soft ride, although it seems silly to get a 4 year old car just for that reason. Is the ridereally that different with the 6th generation? It is hard to tell on short test drives but the 6th Generation does seem firmer. Haven't encountered any major bumpy roads on test drives so far though, to really test it out.

-Boston Snowboarder

More advanced technology is available and/or more common in the current ES generation - Enform, Pre-Collision System, Radar Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, automatic high beam headlights.  Watch out for the wheel size: the standard 17" wheels provide a softer ride than the optional 18" wheels. 

The GS is very different from the ES in the way it rides and handles.  I was surprised when I looked at the GS a couple of years ago to find that it has grown to have almost exactly the same dimensions and interior space as the 2000 LS400 that I had a the time.  The current LS is "land yacht" size but the current GS is still small enough to be nimble and fun to drive. 

Will snowboards fit in the trunk of an ES or GS?  The longest snow skis I could get into the trunk of my 2000 LS400 were 160 cm and I had to bend the heck out of them to do it. 

2 hours ago, 1990LS400 said:

More advanced technology is available and/or more common in the current ES generation - Enform, Pre-Collision System, Radar Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, automatic high beam headlights.  Watch out for the wheel size: the standard 17" wheels provide a softer ride than the optional 18" wheels. 

The GS is very different from the ES in the way it rides and handles.  I was surprised when I looked at the GS a couple of years ago to find that it has grown to have almost exactly the same dimensions and interior space as the 2000 LS400 that I had a the time.  The current LS is "land yacht" size but the current GS is still small enough to be nimble and fun to drive. 

Will snowboards fit in the trunk of an ES or GS?  The longest snow skis I could get into the trunk of my 2000 LS400 were 160 cm and I had to bend the heck out of them to do it. 

thanks.  As for snowboards and bikes, no worries about that, as I can use my wife's Acura RDX with roof and hitch racks for such things (although for skiis, I currently can get those in my ES330 through the pass through in the armrest of back seat - not sure if the new generation ES still has that).   The planned new lexus for me is just for daily commute and good weather highway cruising.  It seems that Lexus is trying to make just about every model more sporty to try to get the younger crowd buyers.  For those of us "old souls" who want a comfortable cush floaty cruiser (and dont care about drivability), it seems the only model left that targets this driver is the LS.....

3Hi John and welcome.

This pretty much describes the exact same feeling I had when I went from a 2005 ES350 to a 2010 ES350. The ride was  more firm but not what I would describe as harsh. The steering was more responsive but again, not anything one would call stiff. I loved all of the new  features and apps. To tell you .my self , I would not have felt anything that should have been changed

Now here is the best comparison.  In late 2013, I had an accident with my 2010 and it was badly damaged. (Now in today's world of crash and MPG  requirmentds spendt today's word of car safety badly damaged meant around $36',000, With only a small amount of cash, I went for moving up to a 2013 ES 350.. Now here are some differences in the ES350, 2013. The ride has been softened and the steering is responsive with out making the it difficult in a stiff cross wind.

Adding the blind spot monitor, the enhanced voice activation, and mobile  apps, I think Lexus has made an ES with a win,win for everyone.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

See my post " rough Ride". I have had an ES in the past and its ride was much plusher. I just leased a 2016 and I feel like there are small marbles embedded in the tire treads.  It is so annoying to me that I have had it to the dealer twice, complained to Lexus Headquaters and even took it to another dealership to have it checked out. The technician said that Lexus made changes to the suspension, shocks or whatever to make it more sportier. It is what it is. I have had many midsized luxury cars in the past but I have never been disappointed in  ride quality unitl now. My sister has an older model ES and when she drove mine said there was something wrong with the car. Buyer beware. By the way, they had me drive both the 17" and 18" wheels and there was not much difference.

Alan

Thanks. Do you know which tires you have?  Some people say there is a big difference between the Bridgestone and Michelin tires which are the two brands it comes with (with the Bridgestone being worse).

Because of this ES issue with the new models, I'm considering going with the GS or LS instead but have'nt test driven those two yet.

The right tire can make a world of difference. I have used the Michelin  Primacy MXM4 for my last two ES350's. They have always been popular with ES 350 owners. They smooth out the ride and reduce the road noise. They are not cheap, but many dealer's will swap out the new tires from the factory and put on the other brand. My dealer does this.

Paul

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=245HR7MXM4P&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2013&autoModel=ES%20350&autoModClar=#testResults