Drivers door won't unlock on touch unless really close.

designgears

2008 Lexus ES 350 - 31k miles.

I thought it was the battery in the key fob, but I just changed that out this morning to test. 

I did notice that if I have the key fob about an inch or closer to the door handle it works fine, I can grab the handle and it unlocks. The other 3 doors are fine, I can stand back as far as I can reach with the fob in my pocket and the doors unlock every time.

Any ideas as to why the range on the drivers door would be so limited compared to the rest?

Hi gears and welcome.

I apologize for no one getting back to you sooner. First, I just had a similar problem with my remote starter. The FOB quit working so I went to a battery store and got it replaced. The next day I still could't get the starter to work. I stopped in my dealer and explained the problem. They took out the new batteries and put the meter to them. Dead as a door nail. They put new batteries in an it's worked great ever since.

However, your situation is different  The cause and correction are somewhat of a mystery. First, in your owners manual should be a diagram of all the outside antenna's and their effective range. For example. The doors, on both sides have different antenna's, and the trunk has it's own antenna and range diagram. I don't know if all the antenna's run off the same circuit,( fuse;s) but I suppose it's possible a problem with those circuits could be involved.. But that doesn't explain why just the drivers door is weak.

Do other FOB features work? Such as holding down the unlock button for 5 seconds or so, then all the windows go down and the doors unlock. This is supposed to be operable from about 25 - 30 feet. The last idea is that the proximity detector has some sort of issue. Here again, if it works when you touch the door handle that would seem to rule that out.

Now that I've wasted your time with no help to give, I would just call my dealer and explain your problem and ask if they have seen this before. They are usually very willing to help and not pressure you for an appt.. .

Please come back and let us know what you find out.

Paul