Modding 1999 Lexus ES300

mizzwize

I'm looking to mod my 1999 Lexus ES300. 
So far I've purchased the Dragon Air Intake system. 

I've replaced parts (mass air fuel sensor, O2 sensor, knock sensor, solenoids, brakes) so far, but hoping to get parts to modify and not just replace parts.

My objective is to keep the car for at least 5-10 years (I purchased it July 2015) and I'd like it to be more personalized to me while also having more performance. 

I'd like to ultimately increase the acceleration (I'm coming from a 2001 Nissan Altima with a twin cam engine), increase my performance (if possible), help with the gas mileage (the roads in MA aren't friendly to cars), ask for a recommended tire brand for my car, advice on if I'm able to use the stock stereo but replace the speakers/tweeters or if I HAVE to replace the whole entire sound system.

Does anyone know of any websites besides eBay, Amazon or CarID?

mizzwizz,

I know you don't want to hear this, but you have "champagne tastes on a beer budget" and you can't have both.

The car is 17 years old, is at an age where you can expect to have to replace shocks, belts, wheel bearings, window motors, etc., and the ES was never built for enthusiastic driving but rather for smooth, relaxed commuting and cruising. And you want this car to last 5 to 10 years? It can certainly last that long with good proper maintenance and sensible driving habits. 500 000 miles is doable. But to modify one to increase its performance and gas mileage is a lost cause.

Sure you can replace the spark plugs with iridiums, but as for messing with the intake/larger injectors/exhaust/cam timing, etc., you are throwing money away for the gains that you might make, at the expense of gas mileage, and for spending on the things the car WILL need down the road.

I would advise that you'd be better off doing the preventative maintenance as per the Owner's Manual, driving sensibly, enjoy the car and you'll easily make your 5 to 10 year expectancy without throwing money away.

If you wanted an performance car, and one you could modify, you'd be better served with a Subaru WRX or even an older Lexus GS, or a newer car than your 99, and all of that says more money than you should spend on your present ride, considering what its really worth in the market. Do the maintenance, forget the mods.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions.

As for the speaker upgrade, pull a door panel and remove a speaker. If it doesn't have an onboard amplifier at the speaker (as a 1990 Nissan 330ZX has on each of its 4 speakers), then match up the size and OHMs resistance with a newer speaker if you wish. If there is an onboard amp at each speaker, the entire system has to be changed, unless you're an audio tech with some experience and know of a work around.

As for tires, do a TIRE RACK search for your ride and use their recommendations. Going to a performance tire will be throwing money away (unless you have gobs of it) since they will wear out MUCH sooner than a more conventional tire that the car came equipped with. Good Luck!

2 hours ago, gbhrps said:

mizzwizz,

I know you don't want to hear this, but you have "champagne tastes on a beer budget" and you can't have both.

The car is 17 years old, is at an age where you can expect to have to replace shocks, belts, wheel bearings, window motors, etc., and the ES was never built for enthusiastic driving but rather for smooth, relaxed commuting and cruising. And you want this car to last 5 to 10 years? It can certainly last that long with good proper maintenance and sensible driving habits. 500 000 miles is doable. But to modify one to increase its performance and gas mileage is a lost cause.

Sure you can replace the spark plugs with iridiums, but as for messing with the intake/larger injectors/exhaust/cam timing, etc., you are throwing money away for the gains that you might make, at the expense of gas mileage, and for spending on the things the car WILL need down the road.

I would advise that you'd be better off doing the preventative maintenance as per the Owner's Manual, driving sensibly, enjoy the car and you'll easily make your 5 to 10 year expectancy without throwing money away.

If you wanted an performance car, and one you could modify, you'd be better served with a Subaru WRX or even an older Lexus GS, or a newer car than your 99, and all of that says more money than you should spend on your present ride, considering what its really worth in the market. Do the maintenance, forget the mods.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions.

As for the speaker upgrade, pull a door panel and remove a speaker. If it doesn't have an onboard amplifier at the speaker (as a 1990 Nissan 330ZX has on each of its 4 speakers), then match up the size and OHMs resistance with a newer speaker if you wish. If there is an onboard amp at each speaker, the entire system has to be changed, unless you're an audio tech with some experience and know of a work around.

As for tires, do a TIRE RACK search for your ride and use their recommendations. Going to a performance tire will be throwing money away (unless you have gobs of it) since they will wear out MUCH sooner than a more conventional tire that the car came equipped with. Good Luck!

I'm not offended by what you said, not sure why you'd think I would be. I'm still new to being a Lexus owner and I'm new to taking care of my car the proper way, so this was very informative. I have been working on repairing the issues the car currently has. I have no issues just sticking to spending my money on that. I just wanted to make my car look nicer, but if that's going to be a challenge because of the model/year then that's fine, no big deal. Thanks for your reply.

misswize,

I appreciate that you aren't offended, because the original question you asked is asked a lot on many of the forums I follow, and I have given the same response I gave you. The followup posts by many of the thread starters were less than kind.

I mean. " how dare I give them my opinion?", which ended up being not what they wanted to hear, particularly when they asked for an opinion.

"Save your money for repairs, because you can't afford to mod it, and do the required repairs on the paycheck you presently have. If you could afford to do the mods, then you would have purchased a new car, and the right car that can be modified to begin with." (The guy buys a $1500 Corolla and then spends $2200 on fancy wheels and low profile tires?)

Mod a Mazda X5, or a Subaru Imprezza or WRX, or a Mustang, something that was designed to accept modification, but modding your only car, your daily driver, is asking for disappointment unless you have deep pockets to accept the bills coming your way.

I've just read too many of these posts to be silent anymore (and I guess I'll get a  more hate posts because of it.).

In the case of your ES300, any mods that can be done to improve the car are few. It was designed as a luxury highway/commuter/cruiser and there are no aftermarket or even Lexus performance parts made for it. Sure you can experiment at custom bending stronger anti sway bars to get it to corner better, or slap a turbo on it and cross your fingers, but the parts already there will be over stressed and the car's reliability and value will be depressed.

Save the money and spend it on refinishing the wheels when they start to corrode, or spend it on getting the entire car detailed, or all of the belts and hoses replaced. Keep the classy ride classy.

Apologies for the sermon.

Ok. I only purchased a pre-2000 Lexus because from all of my research, they happen to be known for being reliable among all cars, not just Lexus (assuming you take care of it). I also just love the look of the LS400 (mainly 95-97). 

Since working on performance isn't practical, would there be anything I can do as far as making the ride smoother? or more durable? I heard that when the 99 was released there was an option to get air suspension, not sure if that's a benefit or not. I also have seen some spoilers for my car and read that they help with driving on the highway (as far as fuel mileage). I've already flushed my fluids (had some old and bad fluids).

Other then that I'm trying to get rid of my check engine light (it's annoying to see, plus the traction won't work until I fix the other issues)

mizzwize,

We've had several ES's over the years, and I recall the 97 have adjustable shocks (rotate a console switch from Sport to Comfort). Do your homework before you spring for the air shock route (especially OEM) because the parts for these cars go up dramatically every year. Don't know about the spoilers but I think it would spoil the looks of the car. But its your car, your money, do what you want.

Some of the option parts are insanely expensive ... our last ES (04) had the APPS go bad. Its the 6 pin sensor that's attached to the gas pedal that signals the throttle opening. The only way to purchase it was as one whole assembly because the car was optioned with the Power Pedals that moved. The whole assembly, bracketry, pedals, motors, flexible drive cables and brake and accelerator pedal (plus the little sensor on the side of the pedal) was $1100.

The trigger sensor for the Terrain Following Headlights (moves headlights up and down to keep the aim on the road and out of oncoming driver's eyes) is attached to the rear passenger side suspension. That little sensor (half the size of a Zippo lighter) is $600.

So, as I've stated, Lexus uses a lot of specialized parts that you can't even get from a Toyota dealership, and it charges big time for them, because you can only get them from Lexus. Be careful. The best bet is used in many cases. (That APPS I got off a wrecking yard in California for $150 including shipping.) Keep in mind that the V6 Camry for 1999 was basically the same car, and many of the parts were shared and (the Camry's parts were cheaper to buy), but not all. Be careful to ensure the part is a direct fit.

Tire Rack will zero in on the tires you need (even if you don't buy from them). Go online and give them the year and model, and state whether you want long mileage, smooth ride, good grip, etc. They've tested each tire they sell in all categories, and take the guess work out of it.

Frequently if the Trac control light is on its saying that a wheel ABS sensor is bad, or similar. Get the codes read on the car to track down the problem. Or do a Google search for "1999 ES300Ttraction Control light" and see what other people with the same issue have found as a fix. Its all here on the Internet somewhere. Good Luck!