2014 es300h buying used pricing

CuuLong

I am looking to buy an es300h 2014 certified.  I been all over the internet looking at pricing at all the dealers in So. Cal.  I worked with them via emails and so far none of the dealer will lower their prices.  What is your guys experience in dealing with buy CPO from Lexus.  pricing starts at 32k for 37k miles and price moves up as mileage goes down.  This is my first lexus buy so i have no experience dealing with them.  Thanks in advance for any insight on the matter.  

Are there that many two year old used 2014 ES300h on the market yet?  I would think that most of the ones available would be turn-in's from two year leases and how many people do those? 

I'm not a fan of CPO.  Here is the story I've told many times on this and other forums:

In 2003 I went looking for a low mileage 2000 LS400.  The local Lexus had two with each being at about 36,000 miles (off three year leases with 12,000 mile annual caps), average equipment level, in exterior colors I didn't care for, in showroom condition and both priced at $39,999 which seemed very high.

A few days later, I bought a non-CPO 2000 LS400 from a broker who had bought the car at auction and bought and sold cars to support his main hobby which was building race cars.  The non-CPO 2000 LS400 was even better (a Platinum series).  It had a higher level of equipment, was in the exact color (white) I wanted, and was at 38,000 miles.  The broker, who was a friend of a friend, was advertising the car for sale for the first time the very next day.  He was asking $30,999 which I thought was amazing since the car was exactly what I wanted.  I didn't quibble on price and I bought the car on the spot for cash (I.e. personal check) at his asking price.

I drove that non-CPO 2000 LS400 to 179,500 miles until 2014 and didn't have a single problem that would have been covered under a CPO warranty.  Another reason that I didn't care about a CPO warranty was that I bought a 1990 LS400 new shortly after Lexus was introduced to the U.S.  I knew what to expect which was a very high level of reliability.

So maybe expand your search and look for non-CPO cars.  Or wait a while until more of the 2014 ES300h become available.  Or maybe also look at the Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited which has the same drivetrain and dimensions.  I test drove a 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited just before I finally settled on a new 2014 Toyota Sienna Limited.  Like the 2014 ES300h, the 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited was available with Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).  We no longer buy vehicles without those or similar features.

Or maybe consider buying a new ES300h or Avalon hybrid one since hybrid sales are down due to low gas prices.

@CuuLong: How soon are you looking to purchase? If you'd consider buying a very low mileage 2013 Lexus 300h based in Texas, we could likely strike a deal. I purchased the 2013 ES300h new and have driven it only 15k miles so it is still like brand new. I'm going to be moving in early June to a colder climate and need to switch cars. Thus I plan to sell or trade the car in March or so. I could swap cars sooner as required. It is a beautiful red with tan interior.

Thanks for the offer Dave.  My wife is looking for a white colored one.  out of curiousity, what price are you looking at?  email me in private if you preferred.  

1 hour ago, CuuLong said:

Thanks for the offer Dave.  My wife is looking for a white colored one.  out of curiousity, what price are you looking at?  email me in private if you preferred.  

Good luck in the hunt for a car. I've not set my price as I'm a month or two out; honestly I'd be happy with a price arrived at by pulling two estimates from reliable online sources and averaging the private party sales prices for top condition car. Somebody will be happy/lucky to get a great deal. I hate to trade it in as the values are so much lower.

• 4 weeks later...

Granted I bought my CPO 2005 ES330 8 years ago (in 2008);  but at that time, it was very difficult to negotiate much off the asking from the dealer.  I think I got them down $700 from their advertised price.   I had one or two small issues that fell within the extended part of the CPO warranty, and these were covered in full by the dealer, although I must admit the issues were minor and I could have paid for them out of pocket no sweat.  More major issues are only starting now.....at 11 years of age.