RX300 - automatic lights

galtom

Hi,

in my 1gen RX300 ('03) there is automatic light function.

I have read in the users manual, that time after which they turn off can be adjusted - visit your local Lexus dealer.

I would like to change this time to minimum or (better yet) make them turn off with the ignition - I do not need "coming home" function at all.

Does any one here knows how to change it? It is probably some combination of ignition, door opening/shutting, etc. or has a service manual where such info can be found?

The RX300 was from the era when all customizable settings had to be done with a Toyota/Lexus scan tool with the appropriate program card.  Even on much newer vehicles, some of the customization can still only be done through the OBD2 port and the headlight off delay interval is one of them.

You might check out the Carista smart phone app (google it) to see if it can do it.  It can be purchased on Google Play and requires a Bluetooth OBD2 cable.

It takes a mechanic only a few minutes to customize settings with a scan tool.  The headlight off delay interval was one of the few features I had customized on the 2000 LS400 I used to have but I had it increased to the maximum 90 seconds. 

Or you could what we have always done on our past and current vehicles.  When we don't want to utilize the headlight off delay, we click the headlight switch to the off position and then back to the Auto position as we exit the vehicles.

• 6 months later...

If you simply want the headlights to turn off when you exit the truck, leave them in the on position.  They will turn off when you lock the doors.  Its a power saver feature.

That is how it is by default. But it takes about 1 min for them to switch off. I do not see a point since i live block if flats. It takes toll on battery and bulbs themselves (not cheap either).

But the problem i solved now.

Local lexus dealer changed how it works. Now, as soon as i open drivers doors they shut off. A lot more sensible in my situation.

Thanks for input!