Ls400 Vs 350 Caprice

LexusUcant

I would say yes, but no. It could definetly beat the Caprice off the line, but is may not "smoke" it. The cars weigh about the same but the model year will be a major factor. www.car-stats.com lists the Caprice's 0-60 at 10.3 in 1992 and 8.5 in 1993. (It got a lot more torque in 1993.) A first generation LS (1990-1994) is listed at 8 seconds for 0-60. The second generation of the LS (1995-1997) improved to 7.4 seconds and went to 6.4 for the 1998-2000 style. The model year of both cars it definetly a big factor, but I would say the LS400 would win in either situation, but the margin of victory will depend on the model years.

Aftermarket tuning is also very popular on the Caprice and could easily change the outcome of the race.

Caprice versus Lexus?? My father used to own 86 Caprice Classic, the car was a tank, it accelerated worst than a tank and toped out at 60 mph. Don't compare a donkey with a stallion.

Depends on what kind of caprice. I had a 1995 model, cop-car with a Vette LT1 350 motor. It was conservatively rated at 260 hp and 345 lb-ft torque.

-Off the line it would definitely smoke ANY lexus - even 300hp 3200-pound SC430.

-Midrange, 50-90 mph, probably close

-Top end, 100+ mph the Lexus would be better. Thats when the aluminum 32-valve V-8 suddenly wakes up at 4000+ rpm and storms like hell to 6250 rpm.

Also its helluva lot more stable, confident, smooth at those ultra sonic velocities.

You could buy those cop caprices at auction for like $1500 - good cars to have around just for fun or as a back up car

Yes, keep in mind that the 86 Caprice either had a small 305 V8, or the very underpowered Oldsmobile 307 V8. I am not sure if they had switched over to the Olds 307 by 86 or not. I know they did in the late 80s, before switching back to the 305 FI V8 in 1991, which added more horsepower, then they had the optional 350 V8.

My 89 Pontiac Safari wagon (Similar to the Caprice of 1977-1990) has a VERY WEAK 307 Oldsmobile V8, with the electronic 4bbl. Quadrajet. It has about 145 hp, not to mention it is pulling a 4200 lb stationwagon. The 77-79 Caprice with the 350 may have a lot more power than the mid to late 80s model with the 4bbl 305 or 307.

I have actually driven a early 90s Caprice (also in the market for one to replace my 92 Buick as a work car) and they have very decent power, even with the 305 FI. I know that the Police Interceptor model would be a much faster car, with the HP V8.

The 91-96 Caprice is just a little heavier if I recall. I think the Lexus (90-94) weighs about 3700-3750 and the Caprice runs about 3800-3950, depending upon options.

You could buy those cop caprices at auction for like $1500 - good cars to have around just for fun or as a back up car

They are sold in State Surplus Auctions. :D

Just a heads up, because I did not knew about it neither until laster year.

I have had a couple of Caprices, recently a 1985 with a 305cid (5L), and I still have a 1992 with the 305cid. The Lexus is so much faster in all respects to the Caprice that there is no comparision. Now if you are talking about the last model year Impala SS cars with the 350cid (5.7L) that is another story. I still think they are one of the best looking cars Chevy ever made. I'd buy one but they still get between 12K$ and 17K$ for them. The Caprice cop cars ripped. I have a couple of friends who are cops and they were all sorry to see them phased out.

I hate to say this but I would prefer a black 96 Impala SS over about any other car for Interstate driving. They are more comfortable than the LS400, mainly because Lexus seats are so terrible compared to the Chevy's. The seats in my 92 Caprice are much more comfortable on a trip than my 90 LS, and I've drive both extensively.

My 92 Caprice weighs 3707lbs.