Auto to Manual swap

Z30

I was wondering how much it would run to do the full swap on my 95 sc300 I don't like automatic to well and I would love to make my car manual 

Yes I have there is none close enough for me to go get I'm not looking to do it myself I wanted someone else to do it but idk how much it would cost an everyplace just laughs an hangs up

I have a similar experience.  I always wanted to do it and i wanted it on the v8.  Still haven't found a great solution though it is not impossible.  There was one good post about someone who did it.  My take aways were: don't do it yourself unless you're really good, and don't let just anyone do it.  There will be a little bit of custom fitting that you don't want some dope doing with his hammer.  Someone with a machine shop or some metalworking skills.

here's the post from the other forum:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/710238-my-sc400-manual-conversion.html

Of course everyone laughs and hangs up!  Do you think you are going to get a professional mechanic to go to the trouble of figuring out all the parts that are needed, verify that all the parts can be obtained, try to calculate the number of labor hours needed while knowing that you will be shocked by the cost and won't have him do the work?  Even if you agreed to his price, he would surely require much of the payment up front.

The only way this is cost effective is to do it with salvaged parts and to do it yourself as a hobby.  At least you should not have to fabricate parts although getting most of the parts from salvage might be a challenge.  Some of the tools you need like engine hoist and transmission jack can be rented.  It actually might be a fun project if you have a place to do it and don't need to use the car.  I think it would be more "fun", however, on a higher value vehicle - a vehicle where a modification like this would add to the vehicle's value ... think 1960's Porsche 911 with the awful crap-o-matic transmission.

It would be less expensive to find an existing 5-speed SC300 that appears to satisfy your requirements, fly to wherever it is located in the U.S., buy it and then have it shipped to you in Florida by a cartage company that specializes in such things.

I actually thought about replacing the LS400 I purchased in 1990 with a 5-speed SC300 as soon as they came out for the 1992 model year.  One of the aspects I liked was that the 1992 5-speed SC300 was available with the same cloth interior that I had and liked in my 1990 LS400.  If I remember correctly, the base retail price of the 1992 5-speed SC300 was in the $31,000 range and I could have bought one for a bit over $26,000.

• 5 years later...