GSinTrouble

Gauge Cluster Inoperative After Locksmith Fried A Wire, Please Help

Like a fool, I closed my keys in the trunk while on vacation. After calling a locksmith, he unlocked the car and set the alarm off, causing the doors to lock and disable the trunk switch. He removed the lower dash panels containing the switch, and jumped power to the White and black wire on the switch. He fried the wire, left, and now here I am. I used a Lexus emergency key to open the trunk and retrieve the keys. Upon placing the key in the ignition, everything was functioning but the cluster. I can see my gear selection indicator and my idiot lights, but no tach, speedo, water temp, or fuel gauge. I have checked the MPX B fuse, SRS B, Panel, and Gauge fuses, each of which appeared to be fine. I have since disconnected the battery (twenty minutes prior to the publication of this post). Please help me identify the problem, I am very concerned. Thank you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By wibm1
      I joined this forum to find out some information on my dead speedometer for the 1993 SC300.  There are lots of appends about the speed sensor (VSS) and appends about the leaky capacitors in the ECU.  My speedometer first started acting erratically, reporting 90 MPH  as I idled down my driveway, often swinging wildly.  It seemed to calm down after driving it for a while.  It then went into a mode where it would register about 20 MPH when I was going 60 MPH.  It finally quit working at all.  All of the other gauges worked fine including the tach and the odometer.  I tried a new VSS but that did not fix it.  There are lots of appends about the caps in the ECU but the VSS signal goes directly to the instrument panel.  It eventually goes to the ECU for other purposes and if the ECU is bad it will probably cause a check engine light.  I did not have a check engine light on.  I saw another append about the speedometer needle sticking so I decided to take mine apart.  I did not have the sticky needle but I found more leaky capacitors on the circuit board attached to the speedometer 'motor' (or whatever you call that thing).  See the attached photo.  The two on the left were bad.  You can see by the discoloration on the edge of the board that they had spilled their guts.  The little one is a 6.8uF 25V and the one next to it is a 22uF 25V.  The third one on the right and back was not bad and I didn't mess with it (because I did not have a replacement).  I replaced these two capacitors, put it back together, and my speedometer came back to life.  Perhaps someone has already posted about these particular caps but I did a lot of searching and did not find any reference to them.  I hope this helps someone. 

• By 04lexusrx33O
      Hello! My name is Jake and I have an 04 RX330 with 230,000 miles on it. Not certain on the history of it but I have gotten it with no heat and an overheating problem(EDIT: previous owners said it has overheated on them). I immediately knocked out the easy stuff, checked coolant levels, verified fans were working. So I end up doing serious work that it needed: waterpump, timing belt, power steering pump, upper/lower intake gaskets, thermostat(THM 117-$11.32 at napa), valve cover gaskets, spark plugs. I end up finding smoke swirling out of a crack in the radiator while the car was idling for an hour during a fuel injector decarbonizing process. I end up replacing the radiator as well as the fan motors with the relay because the fans wouldn't turn on. I ended up using a power probe straight to the old fan motors and only fan #2 worked. I end up putting it all together-bled all of the air out of the cooling system with an airlift evacuation tool-and this thing is still overheating! Today I pulled it in and put the scantool on it-temp reads 244 degrees, so it's up there. I take a laser thermometer gun and the passenger-side (or upper hose) of the radiator read 183 degrees give or take and the part of the intake that the sensor screws into was around the same. So I thought it's only a $20 sensor, and replaced it-also considering it had a previous P0117 code(engine coolant temperature circuit low input). I know when the DTC is aiming at the input part of a circuit, it's talking about something with the sensor. I thought this would do it, BUT the car still overheats via gauge. Good news was I had heat, so I'd blast it when it starts climbing up and it'd slowly go down. I'm really stumped now, because I know the heater core acts as a mini radiator, but it doesn't make sense that the heatercore cools the engine down but not the fans and radiator being fully functional. The upper heater hose is piping hot with pressure but the lower hose is room temperature with pressure, I verified by squeezing the hoses. Is the thermostat defective? I installed it with the wobbler pin positioned at the top via installation instructions. I feel like I might run a compression test tomorrow to check the head gaskets, but I feel like I'm missing another sensor or something-I'm a freshman in college so anyone with experience I'd greatly appreciate it! 
    • By OU1
      My engine wiring harness is pretty much shot, the wires are brittle, and the connectors are breaking from wear and tear.  I've searched around a bit on Google with little luck so I'm seeing if anyone knows of a company, website, person that does complete engine wiring harnesses for a decent price for a 1994 Lexus ES300.  I can't even seem to find them at the junkyards around me.
    • By bloodF0XX
      HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
      Ok, so i pulled a dumb and challenged myself to build a car in 1 week, putting a Lexus 1uz onto a w58 into a Mk3 Supra,
      but I hit a major roadblock... My engine won't run, it'll crank but nothing more.  I've been trying to get my engine to run for the past three days, literally have been working on it for 10 hours each day at least, and have somehow gotten nowhere.

What I have -
      -I have the 1UZFE VVTi engine (I believe it came out of a 99-00 Lexus SC400) just the motor, no transmission
      -I have the ECU (that I believe is the original stock ECU)
      -I have the stock wiring engine wiring loom which came pre-plugged in and all that

My engine

My engine again

Wiring loom and ECU

ECU

What I've done - 
      -Connected the EB2 (2) wire which is black with red stripe (I believe is ignition 1) directly to the positive to the battery
      -Connected the EB2 (3) wire which is also black with red stripe but physically larger(I believe the starter power wire) directly to the  positive on the battery
      -Connected the IJ2 (11) wire which is black with orange stripe with silver dots directly to the positive on the battery
      -Connected the IJ2 (11) wire which is yellow with black stripe directly to the positive on the battery
      -Put in new SAE 5W-30 oil, there is an oil leak but it has enough oil to run

IJ2(11)

top left EB2(3), middle bottom EB2(2), top right EB1(4)

What I've tried -
      -Used starter fluid spray directly in the air intake, did NOT work
      -I plugged in a blade fuse in the power and ground wire(i think) of the transmission plug to try to trick it into thinking it was in park because maybe the ECU wouldn't let it run, did NOT work
      -Bought and connected a MAF sensor (from a junkyard Toyota) and plugged it right in without an air intake, i was told it would run without one but got one anyways because i also heard it the ECU won't let it run without MAF input, did NOT work
      -Looped (plug a wire in power running to ground) O2 sensors near transmission plug, tested with and without, did NOT work
      -Cleaned spark plugs for healthy ground
      -Tested power to ECU, it was receiving power (12.6 Volts approx)
      -Probably a lot more but writing this from my crappy memory now

MAF sensor plugged into MY engine

Transmission plug with blade fuse

Final words -
      - I believe the ECU is not sending signals to the spark plugs, therefore there's no combustion, I don't know why
      - I have spent hours and hours and hours on lots of forums trying to figure this out myself, obviously couldn't solve the problem
      - I may just be missing something important, honestly I don't know now
      - I tried to be as descriptive as can be because I know that helps others diagnose the problem
      - If you have a question just ask, and I'll answer it to the best of my capabilities or I will honestly tell you I don't know
      - PLEASE TEXT OR CALL ME AT 512-720-1166 IF YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP, OR HAVE A SUGGESTION

More engine photos -

• By LZ Engraving
      My doors are unlocking by themselves. I notice it most after entering vehicle and using the key to get in. Thought it was a bad switch in the lock mechanism but I'm not sure. Does anyone have experience with this issue or schematics on the door locks?