Installing An Engine From Japan

You all have given me some great info regarding my engine transfer. My new question is...what do you think about using Mobil 1 synthetic with this engine at the beginning? I don't know what the Jap's used since this engine was new, and I plan to replace all the seals before it's installed. Should I use synthetic or regular oil?

In the early 90's Consumer Reports magazine testers placed freshly rebuilt engines

in 75 New York taxis and then ran them for nearly two years, with each

cab racking up 60,000 miles, placing different brands and weights in

different cars and changing the oil at 3,000 miles in half the cars and

6,000 in the other half.

At the conclusion of the test period, the engines

were torn down, measured and inspected. The conclusions: Regardless

of brand of oil or weight, no measurable differences could be observed

in engine wear. Furthermore, there was no difference among cars

which had oil changed at the shorter or longer interval.

The viscosity of a 5W-30 dinosaur oil at 15 degrees F above zero is about the same as a synthetic oil at 0 degrees. You can see this for yourself if you put jars of each in you home freezer. So while the synthetic has a start up wear advantage, it's only a small one.

Mobil and Amsoil have had 30 years to conduct real world testing of cars like Consumer Reports did in order to prove whether or not synthetic oils dramatically reduce engine wear. Yet in all that time they have failed to do so. What are they afraid of? That synthetic oil sales would plummet if the public knew the truth?

es300man, you went and did it....... you opened pandora's box again.

Here we go with the Less Filling/Tastes Great arguement.

es300man, flip a coin, buy whatever is on sale, do whatever makes you feel comfortable.........just remember to change the oil and filter regularly.

steviej

"es300man, you went and did it....... you opened pandora's box again.

Here we go with the Less Filling/Tastes Great arguement."

LOL!!! Yeah, I guess I did. I learned the hard way though, that the old engines don't like the new introduction of Synthetic Oil. Started leaking from all orafices!! That is why I just spent $265 for all new seals and o-rings for the newer engine. Thought I would start out knowing all that stuff had been replaced. I plan to use synthetic in this engine....yes, I said synthetic. :D I should have it out of the shop by the end of the week..I hope.

I'll tell you what though, this is the last car I try to "fix up"! "New" Rules!!!!!!! :chairshot: