Lifted Rx300 With Big Tires

LIFTED RX300

Those tires/wheels look good.  What are you waiting for? 

I just replaced my front shocks again.  The front right went out last fall's trip through the woods when i noticed it ot hard i think.  Those were KYB made in the US and it lasted about a year. Replaced with Gabriel Ultras made in China we will see.

I also finally installed camber bolts on all 4 corners.  I put them all at max to counter the spring lift (-2.5deg i think).  I could probably use a hair more negative but they are close enough. It made major major improvements to the on road handling and braking.

We will see how it does offroad on my birthday trip thursday and friday.

8 hours ago, Enduro said:

Has anyone come across lockers for these vehicles? Also brick wall would you be willing to make another custom bumper same as your that you would sell?

Hey! Yeah, there's no lockers, it's a very small diff not used in any offroad application... 6.7" I think... as for the shield, do you mean my hood deflector? I also plastidip'd my grill if that's what you mean... I'm not sure if I'm up to building another bumper either, sorry! If I had more time maybe I would

I know the 1999 and 2000 vehicles you could get a limited slip rear as an option before electronic traction control. I had a limited slip rear tacked down for $300 at one point. Closest thing i could come up with.  The lack of either on mine is why i try to keep it out of anything serious. Even 1-2" deep red clay mud on some of the "roads" we go down can be tricky.

Not many options for better 4x4 other than maybe engine and drivetrain swap to something out of a 2.7L 4x4 taco. Major major build issues which is where considering an lx,gx might be recommended.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:38 AM, Brickwall said:

Hey! Yeah, there's no lockers, it's a very small diff not used in any offroad application... 6.7" I think... as for the shield, do you mean my hood deflector? I also plastidip'd my grill if that's what you mean... I'm not sure if I'm up to building another bumper either, sorry! If I had more time maybe I would

Yes, what type of hood deflector do you have on there currently?

10 hours ago, Flumperboy said:

Had a spare hour

finally got the all terrains on . 

25C42D3F-F203-4E90-AEF6-25AF00420C2D.jpeg

C5824FD8-808D-453B-A4D7-0C86FCF14FF3.jpeg

What type of rain window shields do you have on there? OEM or aftermarket? I’ve been looking on and I can’t seem to find any with a lot of reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

20180704_102726.thumb.jpg.7490fd8233db34cef1b7e978c1f75edc.jpghi guys, thought i would jump in on this thread.   i just put on bigger tires on my 2010 RX.   Pirelli scorpion all terrain plus  265/60r18 on stock rims, black plastidip.  Stock size was 235/60r18.  Feels more like a truck.  I didn't take a before measurement but i think i gained almost an inch just with tires.   Slight rubbing when steering wheel is turned right all the way going slow and hitting bumps.   I have 5mm wheel spacers ordered.  I'm going to try that.

20190413_113209.jpg

20190413_163346.jpg

20190412_120952.jpg

Very nice guys. I had another successful trip a couple weeks ago and glad I replaced both front struts before I left. I finally got the suspension driving perfect with no rattles, no hard spots in the steering, no wander and no instability up to 90MPH. Only got stuck once this trip, honestly though an F350 would have gotten stuck so I don't feel too bad.

• 1 month later...

My rear main oil seal and transmission/transfer case input seal went out on the way back from my last trip. The oil leak was really bad but some blue devil rear main oil sealer did the trick in about 50 miles. The tranny fluid is getting worse and need to try some blue devil there. It is killing me that this might be the job that replaces my RX300, two stupid seals that would probably take me a few days to do. I have another trip coming up in a month and have started looking at a lower price GX470 as a replacement. The extra tow capacity and a V8 will is a must upgrade if we get a bigger boat in the next year or two, besides it is a true 4x4. It is essentially a land cruiser on a 4runner foundation and you can get them used for much less than a 4 runner which is amazing. If I decide to fix my RX I will be back, if I sell it I will probably head over the GX side.

• 4 weeks later...

So some blue devil in the oil and trans seams to have fixed it well enough for now. Yesterday i really could have used some frame sliders. We pulled the front shaft and ran out of front diff oil half way back to camp. She will not move with no oil in the front diff and none of the local salvage yards have an AWD. Guess i will be headed back to the river again for a "repair trip" soon.

20190614_155810.jpg

20190614_155807.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, hewitttech said:

So some blue devil in the oil and trans seams to have fixed it well enough for now. Yesterday i really could have used some frame sliders. We pulled the front shaft and ran out of front diff oil half way back to camp. She will not move with no oil in the front diff and none of the local salvage yards have an AWD. Guess i will be headed back to the river again for a "repair trip" soon.

20190614_155810.jpg

20190614_155807.jpg

woah that's narly!!   did you get it fixed?

The middle shaft was shortened about 1.5 in. When it twisted and it pulled the front shaft backwards. I was able to cut about a 3rd of an inch off the front of the front carrier mount so the axle flange hardware would clear. There was still enough spines in the output to still seal so I filled it back up. On Sunday it took me 3 hrs to go 50 miles back to civilization. I was able to track down a totaled 03 awd on craigslist. The driveshaft was pretty much all that was left abs she would only take $20 for it. A road trip with my dad and a few hours later I had it swapped out and was back on the road. 

The funny part is I did my usual search for local GXs for sale and traded my 00 RX for an 05 GX the next day. Lexter 2.0 and I havent had to do any mods yet!

20190617_081533.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have a 99 RX300 and was wondering if I the strut spacers are the only thing I need to do the lift?  I saw earlier that someone used the ebay Russian 30mm spacers, but does anyone know if I can use the 40mm (1.5 in)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-strut-spacers-40mm-for-Lexus-RX300-RX330-RX350-RX400H-RX270-RX450H/112543195876?fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3ARX300%7CMake%3ALexus&hash=item1a3418e2e4:g:W88AAOSwd6VZpAA4

Also, when I did a search, the Subaru Crosstrek 1.5 inch lift came up as fitting the Lexus RX 300 - has anyone tried that?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/v/lexus-rx300/suspension/complete-suspension-systems-and-lift-kits/0-to-2-25-inches/_/N-1saz5Zcm868Z1yzn48p

Thanks!

Sage

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, Sage said:

Hi all,

I have a 99 RX300 and was wondering if I the strut spacers are the only thing I need to do the lift?  I saw earlier that someone used the ebay Russian 30mm spacers, but does anyone know if I can use the 40mm (1.5 in)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-strut-spacers-40mm-for-Lexus-RX300-RX330-RX350-RX400H-RX270-RX450H/112543195876?fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3ARX300%7CMake%3ALexus&hash=item1a3418e2e4:g:W88AAOSwd6VZpAA4

Also, when I did a search, the Subaru Crosstrek 1.5 inch lift came up as fitting the Lexus RX 300 - has anyone tried that?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/v/lexus-rx300/suspension/complete-suspension-systems-and-lift-kits/0-to-2-25-inches/_/N-1saz5Zcm868Z1yzn48p

Thanks!

Sage

I did the eBay/amazon 4x4tera from Russia 

40mm spacer 

so far so good. But you have to have new shocks I got all new and some camber bolts 💯