Jim Walker

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

The black trim along the bottom of the car. Do you mean the part that is below the beltline, or the actually black plastic on the very lower part? I use NoTouch tire spary on the black plastic.

Hetter, yours is not that bad. Mine is totally black.

Jim, I would be very interested in a new LCD. Also, I would be interested in the instructions for replacement. When that is ready, please send it along. Thanks.

UPDATE

I have 100 of the LCDs being manufactured in China right now. I have already paid for the engineering. I'm supposed to receive 5 engineering samples on Aug. 20. If they test ok, I will then approve the order to proceed with the initial order of 100. That will take about 6 more weeks. So realistically speaking, I should have them for sale at the beginning of Oct. I plan to sell them for about $150 each with instructions on how to change it yourself. I'll also offer to install them into the customer's climate control for a small fee. If I can get a few bad climate control units, I will do exchanges.

I'll post on this board when they come in.

I'm sorry for the delay in completing this project, the manufacturer had some mistakes to correct.

Thank you for you patience.

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

Add me to your contact list. It's great to see that someone's figured out a way to fix this very pricey and common problem. I can't wait to see the clock that's been gone for a year and a half on my 1990 LS400.

-Jonathan

lejardinier@msn.com

P.S. My LCD was perfect for 11 years and only started to cloud after the car was jump started by a tow truck. Just a coincidence?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

:D Sorry it took so long to post this message. I purchased the LCD display from Jim and installed it myself. I could not be happier. The directions Jim included were perfect and it feels good to see the time and temperature again. My mother also has a '92 LS400. She drove my LS400, saw the Temp/Time display working and now she wants hers replaced. Thanks Jim!!!!! :D :D

• 9 months later...

Dear Jim,

Please contact me. I'd interested  in buying  a new control  module.

Thanks.

George A. Sirtes

201-445-0570 Voice

201-445-3938  Fax 

Hi everyone, thank you all for all the replies, both on and off the list. I recognize many of you from my doing the repairs on your instrument cluster lighting problems. I want to thank all of you for trusting me to repair those units for you.

Now I want to update everyone on my progress of solving the problem of the climate control modules with their smudgy blacked out displays. The problem is the LCD display itself, the part that you see that is glass. The rest of the unit that houses the display is called the climate control or AC control unit. The climate control unit itself has a surprising amount of electronics inside and is quite suffisticated and complex. The unit as a whole seems to be well designed and reliable. It's just the LCD that goes bad.

Several weeks ago I did the engineering drawings and specifications to have some LCD modules manufactured. The first 5 units are due to arrive in mid July. These are the engineering samples. If they are good (which I expect) I will then give them the approval to manufacture 100 of them.

The 5 engineering samples are already promised to people that have helped me out, such as Mark (Desertred) who sent me his climate control months ago for me to figure out the problem. Thank you Mark!

The specifications that I wrote for these units are the broadest possible temperature range that is available in the industry at this time. The LCD displays are going to be as near to factory appearance and function as possible. However, I used the 90-92 LS400 as the model. The reason for this is that this model has the majority of the problems. The 93-94 LS400 display is slightly different. It has a divider in between TIME and TEMP sides if the display and it will display the word MAX TEMP if you run the temperature setting up as far as it will go.

Since I followed the 90-92 display as a model, if you were to install this on your 93-94 LS400 climate control unit, you would no longer see the words MAX TEMP when you run the control all the way up in temperature. You would also not see a divider between TEMP and TIME sides of the display. In addition, there are more connecting pins on the 93-94 model display. In order to accomodate this difference, I will offer an adaptor of sorts for use of my display on the 93-94 LS400s.

In addition to that difference, I found that vehicles with right-hand drive have the display showing the TIME on the left and the TEMP on the right side of the display. That's just opposite what we have in the US. Again, I will offer an adaptor for this as well. But those of you with right-hand drive vehicles will then see the TEMP on the left and the TIME on the right anyway. The adaptor only allow the display to be used on your climate control module but can't switch the words TIME and TEMP from right to left and visa-versa. This will have no effect on the display as far as Celcius and Fahrenheit. It will show the proper temperature whether you have C or F. However, it will only show metric time (just kidding!!)

How difficult is it going to be to change one yourself? On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say an 8. It is fairly difficult I'm sorry to say. However, I plan to write very detailed step by step directions for those of you that want to do it yourself. I will send those to you if you ask before you buy so that you can judge for yourself if you want to tackle it.

For those of you that don't want to try the self-install, I will offer for you to send your unit to me for repair. I will charge you for this, I haven't determined how much that will be yet.

I would like to purchase some complete climate control units that have the bad LCD module in them. I would like to have several of these to use for exchanges. If you have one or know of someone that has one that is good except for the blackened out LCD, please contact me ASAP.

Thank you!!

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net 

Does anyone know who manufacturers these LCD displays, or better yet, would anyone have the part and/or serial numbers? If you have that information and you're willing to do the work yourself, the following link of LCD displays may be a benefit. Check out the web!

http://www.mouser.com/?Ne=400&handler=data...tcategory&N=420

Regards,

JR

Jim sold me one of the first LCD screens he made. It has been in use for about 11 months now with absolutely no problems. I did a tutorial on the install and it is one of my most popular tutorials: http://www.lexls.com/climateLCDscreen.html

Jim's screen is a little different than the original, but I like it better. The install is easy if you know how to solder. If you don't then I would recommend paying someone who does know. If you break the unit you'll have to find a used one on ebay, meaning you'll be out at least $300.

:unsure: Hmmmmmmmmmm, I just bought a complete remanufactured climate control unit from moto-speedred on ebay for 187.50, :ph34r: I did not have to solder anything just remove and replace. I see these kits on ebay all the time going for 100.00 :chairshot: