More Obd Questions

heres 1- first can the Japanese version of 2jz-gte be imported? i mean to say is, are they street legal or does it produce too much power?

next- instead of paying an !Removed!-load of money to have a pro reprogram the obd to be turbo-compatible, could you use a chip out of a soarer?

-will it fit and function?

and last but surely not leased instead of all the converting, reprogramming, and adding turbos, plus dealing with the migraine headaches associated with doing it yourself- could you buy and import a soarer with the steering wheel on the left, do they even exist???

1. Yes it can be bought and imported. Street legality depends on the state you live in and emissions or lack there of. CARB leagality is not likely. Too much power is not possible in my vocabulary.

2. I doubt it. If so, it would probably cost as much as locating the jdm computer or using a g-force ecu or standalone. May as well just get the correct computer for the job. Flashing the ge ecu is not what I would recommend.

3. Yes. Same issue with #1. Emissions. Then another issue, crash testing and impact conformance to US standards. Customs and your local DOT will own you. Unless you know somebody in the right place.

Slap a turbo on the GE and call it a day. Path of least resistance.

You don't have to drop compression. Turbonetics and the like say 8 pounds. I've hit 15 and 20 at 10:1. Be careful though. Start easy and make sure you have enough fuel. That said, it is not recommended to go that high. It depends on turbo specs. and stuff. Too big a turbo will pop the motor at 10:1.

If you decide to go for big numbers, you should drop the compression. The highest # I saw at 10:1 was mid 500 on a T60-1. That was with cams and progressive boost controller as well as timing management.

My car won't hit full boost (20 psi) anymore, so I have some issues to work out. It still runs 10 to 12 just fine. I have a leak somewhere I think - or it's the injector seals as some other guys have mentioned. Just when I said I didn't have that problem. Go figure.

heres another, i called a turbo shop, they told me it would cost $40,000 to put an HKS turbo on a 2jz-gte engine. so after i convert the GE engine to a GTE engine it would be an additional $40k. thats nearly twice the amount the car was purchased for..... it doesnt take a brain surgen to figure out thats a complete rip off.

one reason the price was outragous is,

i was told "you need a dyno tester to put a turbo on a car" for timing reasons,....

is that true?

That price is a little steep man. 14 g's might be more like it for a full GTE swap and single turbo with dyno time. Yes, you should put the car up on a dyno for tuning by a professional no matter what route you take. Sounds like you need to do more research though. Looks like you could get ripped off if you are not careful. Check the FAQ please. If you have more questions after that, please feel free.