Headlamps Condensation

Tommy Phan

I got 2009 Es 350 and now both headlamps have condensation so I don't know if Lexus cover for the replacements or not under warranty. Anyone knows or have the same problems please let I know. They will charge $140 for just diagnostic and I don't know how much will it cost for the replacement

tommy,

To replace both headlights is MAJOR dollars, and a last resort.

You live in a high humidity environment in Oregon, and its not a surprise that you are having this issue. I've seen it often enough where I live (the Great lakes region of Southern Ontario, Canada= high humidity at times).

There is an easy fix, but it may not be permanent, and may have to be done a time or two every other year. It really comes down to how well your head light bulb sockets seal, after you get the humidity cleaned out of them.

What I have done in the past, is to remove the headlights from the car (fairly easy to do, if you are used to wrenching on cars). Once on the work bench, I have drained the bulk of the water from each individual light bulb region by turning it up side down and shaking it. If you can rig up a small amount of paper towel on the end of a straightened coat hanger, you can sop up any remaining excess.

Lastly, rig up a hair drier (not a heat gun) with a small diameter paper tube (make one up) to force air into each bulb region one after another, until all of the condensation is removed. This may take some time, and patience, but it is doable.

Once everything is absolutely dry inside the entire headlight body, give the unit time to adopt the same termperature as its surroundings. If no condensation appears, reinstall the headlight in the car.

You may find that you have to repeat the job in a years' time, may be not. But it still beats the several hundred dollars a new set of lights will cost you. After all, you may find that you have to deal the car in 6 months time anyway. Good Luck!

• 3 months later...

+1; I'm with gbhrps although you can try and see if they can be cleaned without removing, using the same process. Be sure not to leave a paper piece in the headlight unit; its a sure removal if one gets stuck in there. It can also burn if left in there