Diff Lock?

pemarsh

I understand I would want to lock the differential when in slippery conditions. (Let me know if I am wrong on that).

However, how do you activate it?? Do you need to be stopped, or below a certain speed? Also, how fast can you go with it locked??

I am still waiting for my LX450 to arrive so I am not exactly sure what the button you are refering to, but........you only want to "lock" the diffs when you are really stuck, or there is the chance for a wheel to be lifted off of the ground enough to make it spin.

I believe since you describe the button as a push button, that it is just a center diff lock. Which would lock the distribution of power to the front and rear power at a straight 50/50 or 30/70. See, without it locked, if your rear wheels start to spin, the differential will switch all the power to the wheels that are spinnning, but with the center diff locked, power will remain locked to the wheels that still have positive contact to terra firma.

Now, like I said, I have only a few minutes of seat time in a LX450, so I could be wrong as to what that button is for. But the landcrusiers or FZJ80's have a "dial" locker switch on the dash to the left of the steering column. And I have heard that the LX450's have the same switch. But having said that, when I test drove the LX450, when I put it into 4lo a light came on that said, "diff lock" and this truck was not equipped with lockers. So I am in the dark.

Essentially I typed 3 paragraphs to say, "I don't really know."

The LX450 has a central diff lock which engages when the small lever next to the shift lever is moved into Low. Some LX450's have factory installed electric activated diff locks which are engaged by the rotating swich to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. For a more detailed explanation go to - http://sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

I have had the lockers on my Landcruiers and LX450 for a long time now and have done a lot of off-roading with them. I know with the LX, you have to be stopped and in N to first put the car in 4L to lock the center and then turn the knob on the left to lock either the front, back, or both. You are not supposed to go over 5 mph with them locked. Unless you are in a slippery surface, you cannon turn the car at all with these are locked. As far as the LX470 goes, my mom has a 2003 Landcruiser and I assume they are the same set up. If so, you are right, it is only a center locker but much of the same rules apply. Hope this helps.

Steve

... 2003 Landcruiser and I assume they are the same set up. If so, you are right, it is only a center locker but much of the same rules apply...

The '98 and '99 LCs and 470 had an optional locking rear diff. Same dial, but only RR option.

LX 470

my switch is a push button with a stick figure of 4 whhels with a broken line in the middle

You should only use the locking diff when you can't get traction in slippery conditions or when you are losing traction. Only engage when there is no load on the differential.

George

LX 470

my switch is a push button with a stick figure of 4 whhels with a broken line in the middle

You should only use the locking diff when you can't get traction in slippery conditions or when you are losing traction. Only engage when there is no load on the differential.

George

Unlike the 450, which has locking rear diffenential, the lx470 has center locking center diff and LSD rear. You can lock the center diff in either high or low.

George

Unlike the 450, which has locking rear diffenential, the lx470 has center locking center diff and LSD rear. You can lock the center diff in either high or low.

George

Don't the '98 and '99 470s have an optional locking rear diff? I'm pretty sure they do.

The 450s came with an optional locking front AND rear diff.

Doug