93 Ls400 Won't Move

LexusMax93

I'm considering buying aa 93 ls400. The car is in great shape overall. Except... I've been told that it will just lock up and won't move. The guy said it's there transmission. He had it flushed and then it worked fine for a month then froze up again. When it freezes you can shift it into any great doesn't matter tho it won't move. Engine revs but car didn't move. The car is $1000. And I can buy it. Right now it starts runs and moves. But idk for how long and am afraid to test drive it have it freeze up and need to be towed. Also I don't want to spend money on a new trany filter and fluid just to test drive it and find out that the trany is shot. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas. I'm a mechanic have a great shop. Lifts, compressors, trany jacks, everything I could ever need. And plenty of ability. What should I do?

Here is what I would do. Go online or even to a transmission shop and get something in printing or writing about the total cost of repairs. Then go on craigslist in your area and print out how much a car like that is advertised for in good running condition.

Unless it has super low miles the price is going to run about $2500. or less. Personally I would get the price down much more, unless the owner has a stack of receipts for service done. It may need much more than just a transmission. Suspensions on them go at about 130,000 miles or so, steering pump leakage problems and associated rack problems too. Does the AC work? If not if a shop was fixing it that could be some big bucks. To pay even 1000 for a nonruning car it would have to be spotless body wise, and interior too. What options does it have? Yeah us mechanic sorts can do things a bit cheaper but, its still time and materials, so its not really cheap unless its a fun thing for you to do on a Saturday night. Just make sure all the other stuff works. I'd offer 500 and see what happens. If its super good then go for it. I've been looking for one with no paint and body problems and so far have not found it.

And lesson, he had it flushed, I bet they did not use Toyota fluid.

I say buy it. You're a mechanic with shop, lifts, tools, etc. so you can fix this thing. Try to negotiate a slightly lower price but as long as the body is rust-free (FL) and there are not a ton of miles (over 300k) then you can fix it and you will love driving it.

It could be as simple as low on tranny fluid because of a leak. That will cause it to just sit and not go into gear. Or as Bob mentioned, maybe the wrong fluid. But offer them less than $1000 and go for it.

Thanks guys. The car is perfect. No dents scratches or rust. It has a sun roof. I think is the only option. I found a trany today at a junk yard with a warranty it will cost me 325.00. That's with then removing it all I have to do is pick it up and put it in the car. It starts and drivers right now. Motor has 101k on it. And sounds and looks perfect. It probably needs the p.s pump. It has a slight growl. But the junk yard also has that for 50.00. The strong feels fine so I think the rack is ok. But now I'm concerned about the p.s cooler. If it's leaking... Idk. It's got great tires on it. Spotless interior. I'm going to spend a little time with it Saturday and see what all the p.s pump looks like as far as is growl and leak. But for 1000.00 plus 325.00 plus 50.00. I'm going to buy it. Any thoughts on the p.s pump leakage or if the cooler could be the problem? Thanks again guys. Happy driving.

Keep the used tranny in mind but first check the existing one. May be something simple like a leak or wrong fluid type and you really do not need a new tranny. These trannys are pretty solid.

From what you described and knowing your situation as a mechanic, I would buy that thing in a heartbeat. But first, offer them $800. What can it hurt? You can always negotiate upward.

I started at 1500.00 and have already gotten him down to 1000.00. I'm pretty happy with that price. I'm going to spend time on it Saturday. And make a solid choice that evening, about the trany and p.s pump/ cooler.

I've seen ones that look flawless but have had various panels repainted, meaning some sort of damage.

Sun roof = moon roof on Ls400.

There is no PS cooler.

There is a transmission cooler and its in lower tank of the radiator, and make sure the transmission in the car didn't make metal. If it did you need to clean out the lines and the cooler for the new trans.

You say the engine has so many miles, how about the rest of the car? It would make me nervous that someone did an engine swap, and what did they mess up or forget in that process. If the body paint and interior is in super good condition I guess its worth it.

Does the AC work?

And like Landar says you really need to remove the pan on that existing transmission and check things.

A used power steering pump may leak too, you should reseal it before installing it. There are o ring and shaft seal kits pretty cheap, I haven't done it yet but shouldn't be too difficult.

I've seen ones that look flawless but have had various panels repainted, meaning some sort of damage.

Sun roof = moon roof on Ls400.

There is no PS cooler.

There is a transmission cooler and its in lower tank of the radiator, and make sure the transmission in the car didn't make metal. If it did you need to clean out the lines and the cooler for the new trans.

You say the engine has so many miles, how about the rest of the car? It would make me nervous that someone did an engine swap, and what did they mess up or forget in that process. If the body paint and interior is in super good condition I guess its worth it.

Does the AC work?

And like Landar says you really need to remove the pan on that existing transmission and check things.

A used power steering pump may leak too, you should reseal it before installing it. There are o ring and shaft seal kits pretty cheap, I haven't done it yet but shouldn't be too difficult.

The LS400 does have a PS cooler, it is the U shaped pipe in front of the radiator sitting across the lower crossmember.

These do corrode and leak, fairly easy to make a replacement from 10mm copper pipe.

post-25319-0-75662100-1449864015.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=765402&ukey_make=1082&ukey_model=15669&modelYear=1993&ukey_category=21754&ukey_trimLevel=19107

Thank you I learned something new. I should probably study my books a bit more. I didn't realize that is was more than just a power steering line.

I don't know about the Gen1's but the Gen2's like to clog the strainer. The trans has a metal mesh strainer instead of a traditional paper filter. When the strainer is clogged you may as well empty the fluid out. It sounds like a low power steering system with the moaning that it does when this happens. You can remove the filter and clean it. I've battled this before where the trans was shedding material and clogging the strainer. I replaced the trans with a junkyard one but I think there was still some material in the radiator. The new trans' strainer clogged within 700 miles and it was dead again. I cleaned the strainer and installed a 3/8" Magnefine in-line filter on the trans cooler return line and that seems to have fixed that issue for me. I'll be changing that filter every year or so from now on, or maybe more often. Who knows.