Removing Carpet In Rx400H... - Center Cupholder/storage Thing Removal

Has anyone ever removed the carpet from this vehicle?

If so, how hard is it to deal with the center storage compartment between the front seats?

After removing the front seats, I took off some snap on trim from the sides of the compartment to reveal some bolts that would need to be removed. However, I also notice the spring involved in compartment and started wondering what I might be getting myself into.

Also, the padding was soaked all over and I would think needs to be replaced since the water in it smells. I'm guessing the cost of getting a factory fit carpet would be ridiculous. My carpet is really dirty anyway, but I don't care that much and if it were cleaned, any stains wouldn't bother me. So I'm thinking if I could strip off the the padding beneath and glue some new padding there, that might be an option.

I guess I'll price it when I find this leak and fix it.

Thanks. I can't say I'm reassured by what I see. :) I am basically afraid that I'll encounter something spring loaded that is hard to put back if I undo those bolts-- something I'm not prepared for. I'll look at over more closely again tomorrow.

I have fully or partially removed the center consoles from a number of cars (Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota) and have never found anything "spring loaded". A console is not an explosive device. Just proceed methodically and don't force anything too much. It is mainly a matter of disassembling the console enough to expose the screws/bolts that hold it to the floor. There will probably be a number of electrical connections in the console that you will have to unplug in order to remove the console. The RX400h center console does not attach to the center stack or contain the gear selector so it should be a little easier to remove than those in Lexus sedans.

Thanks. As long as I can remove bolts and lift the parts off without fear of something being any more complicated or difficult to reverse the process, I'll give it a whirl.

The bolts allowed me to slide back and up the outer casing, which was promising, until I came across this wire. There is a connector which I undid and thought would have me on my way until I noticed the other end of the wire is clamped down with what looks to me is intended to be a permanent connection. The wiring goes up inside the case, but as to its use I have no idea. I can see anything that runs on electricity in it, unless perhaps it is running a hidden air temperature gauge of sometime to assist with the climate control?

I stuck. How do I undo the black plastic clamp without breaking it. The wires going up into the box have electrical tape. Perhaps there use to be another coupler there originally?

post-161898-0-33035900-1449701970_thumb.

post-161898-0-29570400-1449701987_thumb.

Very interesting ... may be wiring for an optional feature that your RX does not have. I wouldn't think that it would be for a dealer installed phone. Those were discontinued for the U.S. in around 2003 although they continued to be available in Europe.

Have you tried prying/popping the "clamp" holding the wires out?

At least you are finding money (coins)! I couldn't believe all the money and cheap jewelry I found in the off-lease 2000 LS400 I purchased in 2003. I would have hunted down the guy that leased the car but the total value of what I found wasn't all that much.

I didn't notice until this morning that the photo revealed details I could not see in the evening light, even with my iphone flashlight. I stuck a screwdriver into the hole and was able to push the wire out of the anchor.

I still have a problem with the backseat removal though, which I am trying to make clearer in my other post with a photo.

By the way, does anyone know how to remove this lower panel below the gear shift compartment (pointed to in this photo)? it tucks under the upper panel and I'm hoping it can be removed without taking the upper off. But I'm afraid I'll just break something if I start trying to pry away at that lower panel.

post-161898-0-12278300-1449771866_thumb.

Oh, and for anyone else that might pull up this thread in the future, here is a photo of what it looks like with that central cupholder compartment removed, and the plastic tray below it To remove that tray, you unscrew to phillips screws and then unsnap it by prying underneath it. Then you have to unhook the connector to the electrical outlet ("cigarette lighter").

The metal piece I point to will block me from just lifting the carpet up, but it looks to be a major task to remove that, so the carpet will just have to be slide back to get out from underneath that and then lifted up. That is, if I can figure out how to take off that front panel and remove the back seat.

post-161898-0-63016400-1449772144_thumb.