Rx 330 Oil Filter Change

beamer

I just bought a new RX 330 and intend to change the oil and filter myself. I figured out how to access the oil drain plug but am puzzeled as to where the oil filter is located. Any advice regarding how to access and change the oil filter is really appreciated!

the 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE oil filters are located in the same place. For the RX it may be helpful to stand on a milk crate.

jbarhorst2's got it.

Stand in front of the vehicle, and look down between the front exhaust manifold and the back of the radiator/condensor. You will see the butt end of the filter sticking up at you. Yes the filter is angled down, so when you take it off, the oil pours out and down the side of the engine............damnn engineers. :chairshot:

Don't worry, not that much oil comes out and there is a bracket/guide to direct the flow of the oil to one stream that exits next to the plastic splash guard.

Word or note........have a large catch basin ready.

Getting the filter wrench in there is also a exercise in patience. It can be done and best if the filter wrench is positioned like the letter p with the handle pointing down. Wear long sleeves as the manifold heat shield is very warm. The filter will be very very hot, work gloves help. Unscrew it and then quickly tip it upright while still under the manifold, then you will be able to direct it up and out without spilling any more oil.

It only takes once to do it, then you will be a pro.

Currently I am using the K&N gold filter now (HP-1002). The advantage to this filter is that it has a 1" nut molded into the bottom of the casing so that maneuvering a filter wrench in and out is no longer needed.

good luck

steviej

Stevie is right. The heat from the exhaust manifold can be excrutiating. You'll only do it once. Here's how I do mine. I drive the car and get it warmed up, then I drain the oil. Then I let it sit overnight. By the morning, the manifold is cold and the filter has drained as much as it possibly can. I put several paper towels at the bottom of the filter to catch as much of the oil that comes out as possible. It actually works fairly well.

Good luck.

Tom

On my 01 RX300 I find it far easier to remove and install the oil filter from the bottom. You must remove the lower black plastic cover but that is easy. With a light from above you can just see enough of the filter to approach by hand. I then use a socket type filter tool along with a flex head ratchet wrench. Make sure you clean the flat plate surface with an oily towel.

BTW, a trick I have learned over the years to facilitate the easy "release" of the oil filter from the socket: I put some thin kitchen plastic wrap over the filter and then put on the socket. Othewise, the angled-type twisting from removing/putting on such a hidden filter tends to jam it in my socket. Nothing like mounting a new filter with a 1 revolution turn to find you can't pry the socket off of the filter.

I have a question: When I was a kid (years ago) it was semi-common practice to run an engine for 2-5 seconds after the oil has drained to push out more. Any thoughts on that? I have done it occasionally with more modern cars and sometimes see another slug of oil drain out. I really don't see a chance of damage since there is that proverbial thin film of oil still on all moving parts but...

Some aftermarket oil filters, and I believe the toyota oil filter have an anti-backflow device to help keep oil in the filter (for the most part) after shut down. When changing filters this tends to keep most of the oil in th filter rather than allowing it to spill out. Although there is much controvsery as to the quality of Fram filters, their Tough Guard filter comes with this anti-backflow device.