Tire Upgrade For '98 Ls400

M.Yasir

Hi

I am planning to replace my tires with a good set; old tires will soon expire may be i have 2 more months

car specs

LS 400 '98 model

Tyre & Rim - 225/60 R16

Speed rating V will be more than enough

Please suggest a good rubber

Budget 500 USD for 4 tires

Thanks

for pics go here http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/88346-bought-ls-400-98-model/

Update: I went through several threads within forum and other; also went through tirerack website

I am looking for super quiet tyres (and of course smooth); my elder brother owns a '99 Nissan Petrol and I remember when he purchased rubber from Michelin the ride became super smooth comparing to previous tyres from Firestone which were very harsh

Now problem with Tirerack is it appears I cannot ship to UAE, I have emailed them lets see

In the local market here in my place 4 tyres from Michelin will cost me about 460$

also illegal I'm sure to sell expired tires. Every passenger tire since the mid 1990's has a date code embedded in the sidewall. Look for where it is stamped DOT#### the four numbers indicate the week and year the tire was manufactured. The first two numbers are the week, the second two the year. IF the tire only has three numbers, it was made in the 1990's and you don't want them.

Tires do expire, it's just most people don't know about it yet. Tires more than 5 years old, regardless of the tread, are almost expired. Sometimes buying those long running 90,000 mile warranty tires is a bad move because if you don't drive much, they will date expire long before the treadwear does.

I'd upgrade a tick to 235/60-16's Having bought many, many sets of tires I would give a nod to the Good Year Assurance tires. Very nice driving and very smooth. I also run several other brands. I stay away from Michelin tires because they last too long and you end up driving around for years on hard rubber.

Not the right code Billy. The date code is impressed into the tire and the letters DOT(and)#### poke outward from the impression Since the date code is only on one side of each tire, sometimes they mount the date code (ignorance or deceit) facing inward. Look at another tires. Bring a flashlight and your strongest reading glasses, ain't that big.

It must have been legal to sell them. It should not be to sell new tires that are that old as that is very deceptive, and the price should reflect the age. Problem is they were selling them as new with new prices. An out of date tire should be 10 bucks. But you can't even get an outa date used tire for that at a wrecking yard. I would bet most all tires on cars and big trucks are out of date, I wonder how many folks have even checked new cars tires for date? There should be a requirement that there is no date code. But the actual date that is stamped on the tire or formed into it I should say. Why the constant deception with a date code?

Ah Bob, the date code is pretty much the week and year the tire was made. I actually commend the fact that it is required. Not too typical to have such transparency with anything anymore. It should be required on BOTH sides of the tire.

Every tire I have ever bought from tire rack was less than 2 months old, most about 4-6 weeks. Fresher than the old sneakers that sit around in tire stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

No response from tirerack anyway

I am looking forward to these tyres

Pirelly- Cinturato P7 All Season Plus..

let me see the local price here; the problem is nobody is even bothered to look what model tyre they are buying here what people usually do, go to tireshop, name the brand, ask the price, ok go ahead and fit

Difficult to get performance parts here

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone

Finally i managed to save some money and went to replace my old tyres with Pirelli P7 225/60 R15 H

Old tyres removed.jpg

Pirelli P7- LS 400.jpg

And what a difference! amazing rubber, no tyre noise at all on the road all you can hear is noise from the engine and the outside air noise, great grip at corners

Overall ride quality on a 98 LS 400 amazing, highly recommended

UPDATE on my 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles RS A it is not even a full year later, and my tread measures  6, down from 10...

I was wondering if going from a 225 to a 235, would make them wear faster??

I am going to Michelin's, and I guess 225's

17 hours ago, sha4000 said:

How many miles on the tires billy?

only 8000 and they were take-offs, but had 10/32nd rubber on them when installed Nov of 2015.. , the code is 07  12

they ride and drive perfect...