My 94 Sc400 Is Stuck In Park...please Help!

TGunz941

So i just bought this 94 sc400 knowing it needed a new fuel pump and little ins and outs. Anyway I got it towed home and went to put it into neutral to push it into the garage and I cant get it out of park. I removed the shifter bezzel and i can see that the pin is just like a 8th or 16th away from clearing into reverse and other gears. Can someone please help me with this problem. Really wanted and love this car! I just wanna get it moving!

That shift lock override is a mechanical release. It shouldn't not work. So if it's still difficult to shift out of park when the shift lock button under the removable cover is depressed, it probably is just leaning on the gear. So to fix this, have one person depress the shift lock and pull the shift lever, while one or two others rock the car forward and backward a little to get some weight off the gear.

Try yanking on the steering wheel back and forth. Sometimes if the wheels are turned, it can make it seem to lock. Of course you do have to have the brake pedal depressed to shift out of park as well. Just idle thoughts.

I also see that you park on an incline. If you don't set the parking brake, prior to releasing the brake pedal, the entire weight of the car rolls back against the parking pawl. That is what keeps the car from rolling when in park. IF there is a lot of weight against it, such as parking on an incline, then sometimes you actually have to nudge the car forward to get the pawl to release.

Of course once on a Buick Electra, I forced it, broke the pawl and the car rolled if you didn't use the parking brake after that. Take that SUV you've got and put something soft between the bumpers and just put a small amount of forward pressure on it and see if that works. Of course get someone else to help with this.

UPDATE! Went to junk yard and got a new shift lock overide assembly and it works like a charm. Now just gotta replace the cap over the fuel tank. Previous owner thought it was ok to splice wires in a gas tank 🚗🔥💨