Lexus Lovers, Please Help Another Lexus Lover Out, Car Mysteriously Wa

MrsLs400

I beleive I am experiencing the same problem. I was driving my car last Friday when all of a sudden it began jerking while I was driving, it cut off while I was driving & cut back on, the dashboard, the radio & everything shut off & on while I as in motion. I pulled over 2 times on my commute home, luckily Iii made it home safely. Well once I got in my driveway it appears that the car was still acting crazy as I tried to power it off, so it still was kinda running when I took the key out, out if this world experience, never seen nothing like this before. It's been told to me from several people it may be starter, it may be alternator, it may be ignition lock control, module or whatever but I put on new starter & new alternator also since whatever issue it drained the baftery so I bought a new battery from AutoZone. Can anyone on board pinpoint me in the right direction. Thank you. Also let me add that when the new battery was put in, 1st with the positive connection than the negative, without the key being in ignition the car began to run on its own, like seriously, the engine fan was spinning & everything. Weird! Please help me.

The first stuff that happened sounded like bad battery connections or low battery voltage.

No key in ignition and car ran on own? Did engine just turn by the starter or did it start normal? Do you have a remote start system?

If just starter turned its like the solenoid is stuck on.

And what year of car??????????? Its important.

You did all the work yourself starter and all?

@Exhaustgasses no I'm no mechanic. Mechanic installed those for me overtime but yes your right with first statement that it had to be battery related. Well I can't think if anything else that caused the car engne fan to begin soinning with the key in ignition, this is crazy. Any other thoughts on this? Thank you

"fan to begin soinning with the key in ignition" I don't understand this. Did you mean (spinning)? So are you tell me that the mechanic installed and connected the battery with the key in the ignition? If so that is a huge no no. Never want the key in the ignition when disconnecting or connecting the battery. If he did do that was the key turned on? (I reread the first post and you said no key in )

So was the starter turning the engine? Just yes or no....

To keep running with no key as in your first post, the ignition switch is likely the culprit and stayed stuck on like the key was not turning it to the off position. That is the first thing to check.

I don't have the time now but I will explain how you the non mechanic can check it before taking it some place else. Or does a shop still have it? I don't want to see them over charge for stuff it doesn't need, and will exceed the value of the car. You need to start by looking for a free DMM that is digital multi meter coupon for harbor freight, or spend the $6 for one.

We really need more information on the car. How many miles are on it so far? Makes a difference in doing a more accurate diagnosis as various components tend to wear out at about the same milage. If you have over 2 bucks, it could be the valve covers or power steering systems which have been known to leak on various electronics and cause such issues as you are having.

Since you said you are not a mechanic which is completely understandable as most people aren't, you can still check and do things. Take a flashlight, even if it is day, and open the hood. Oh yeah, better warn you here because early Lexus hood struts (the things that keep the hood up) are totally prone to failure and dangerous. Sometimes they stay up for a minute and then drop and can really hurt you. I replaced those on my 1990 LS400 after it almost got me. I thing there should be a recall but I guess since they are only hurting people that work on them, they get a pass but that is another matter altogether.

Open the hood and make sure the hood stays up and even then, stick a broomstick or something in there since I certainly know how dangerous they are and I practice safety first being a former shop teacher and OSHA certified. That being said, look around for oil. Your beautiful engine (one of the best ever) should not have any oil showing anywhere. Look specifically at the left side of the engine since that is where the power steering pump and vacuum hoses are located. If it looks shiny and oily, there you go.

Of course it could be many other things so for that, it would really help to have much more detailed information on your car before anything beyond guessing is possible. Every detail matters.

By the way, welcome to the LOC. Thanks for joining.

Denny

No I haven't disappeared lol. I had a busy weekend & didn't bother with my car since last week. It is in my driveway. I have a nice mechanic who comes to my home but he also has been busy. I have not bothered with it at all. I am a young woman, I am not mechanic no but I do know a little something about cars. The mileage is not that high. Engine & transmission good. I don't just take my car to any shop, last shop ot was at was a Japanese auto shop, they charged me like $400 for the alternator & they've done oil changes & other stuff for me, I was gonna tow it to them but they only want to deal with certain things & will probably try to charge me more outrageous prices, tell me take it to Atlanta Lexus dealerships, Hennessy, Nalley, etc.

Thanks for the welcome. Also was having log in issue too, forgot my password but I have since saved it to my phone haha. I appreciate all yof you guys respenses. I use to Google things about what my car did & Lexusownersclub always would pop up first. I don't know why i am just joining. You guys are so welcoming & supportive of other Lexus lovers, cool.

So I went outside today on my own after the car has been undriven in 10 days & last my mechanic came was November 11th, he was suppose to return this weekend on Saturday & wednesday but I just was outside & try to figure things out for my own knowledge & went to connect the negative connection & my car crunk up but when I released my foot off the gas pedal it began to die out. It runs when I push the gas pedal though. I need new battery teminals, liquid started to smoke on the postive connection, the postive connection have a big crack on it. I removed the negative connection quickly since the positive connection started to smoke also. Weird. Any guidance? Any help is good. Thank you guys.

hay Denny do you think trunk hinge wiring could be involved it this? my first was a 94 so I never got into that...

she is a little hard to follow, but wiring could be involved in this..

also Dina, you could get someone or try it your self, and put NEW battery terminals on your cables also a few photos of the cracks and fluids would help a lot..

If something on the battery terminals is smoking, pictures would be nice. So now it doesn't just turn when the battery is hooked up?

Did it smoke with just connecting the battery? Or when it was being started and or just running?

I would check the air filter. When taking it out wad some thin rags around stuff so you don't scratch the paint.

It could also be over fueling from a stuck cold start injector. Idle air control may not be working, and even checking the throttle position sensor. And those battery cables could be causing all the problems. They need to be clean and have good tight contact. A mechanic should know that stuff. And you could be having the ECU capacitor issue as well.

Hi Dina. This is an interesting post so I thought I would chime in with some thoughts.

First, you did not need to change the starter or alternator as they would have nothing to do with this mystery. A good mechanic should have known that up front. And those items are not cheap to replace. Oh well.

If the engine would not shut off, to me that points to the ignition switch being worn and sticking(shorted) in the 'run' or possibly 'start' position. The battery cables should be clean and making good contact with the battery but that would not keep the engine running. It could explain shut off and radio problems however. As Billy mentioned, there is an issue with the trunk wiring on these cars which also create weird problems. I doubt that to be your issue but just be aware of it.

Another suspect in your case is the ECU capacitors. They tend to leak over the years and make the Engine computer go wacky.

I would first clean up or replace the battery connectors and the ignition switch.

Hey you guys.. i really, really appreciate all your repies. I haven't bothered with it since the weekend. Momday evening I got a Uber driver to take me to Auto Zone, they exchanged the battery, I bought new terminals for the positive & negative. The Auto Zone guy said he'd never seen a battery post melt like mine did or whatever, it was only burning/smoking in the positive connection. For now the battery is sitting on floor in car until mechanic comes to take off old terminals, place new ones on & attach the battery. I do not play with electricity. I was on mobile web version so just switched to desktop so I can upload the battery pictures, I wish I recorded everytging that happen that day, I do have video from when mechanic came & the car was trying to crank anyway, I'll update with more info in a few. Good night.

post-161802-0-07636200-1447823300_thumb.

post-161802-0-81226700-1447823371_thumb.

You guys knoww any good mechanic on the board in the metro Atlanta area in the Lexus club? My mechanic had a accident, idk when he'll be able to come out now.

http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files/search?city=atlanta&state=GA&radius%5Bsearch_units%5D=mile&radius%5Bpostal_code%5D=&keyword=&field_makes_tid=All

Yeah that positive terminal melted didn't it? You said you connected them and it ran? I'm wondering if that positive wire is pinched or partially shorted some place. If it was the alternator it should blow the fused link. Really need to check that main positive wire out good, also if it was a bad connection to begin with the current draw could heat it up so ??? Its just funny how you say it wanted to start as soon as the battery was connected. If so did the starter continue to run? It would have made some extra funny noise I'd think if it did. Need to really check out the ignition switch for working properly. Was it ever changed? Where are the top covers for the spark plug wires and timing belt? You don't want anything falling in there working on stuff.

Bad connection current draw, if the contact area is very small and something like the starter pulls the amps it normally does it would heat up that area of the post, and that could be the cause, then of course the contact is even worse after that so even less current could cause smoking etc. I don't really know just brain storming with ideas. Since nothing else smoked meaning no wires melted and burned up its not likely there is a problem else where causing that. I suppose a person should check the trunk wires but for that to be an issue the power to them would need to be active, and it really isn't just starting the engine, unless a persons foot is on the brake pedal. I say get the battery connections good, and also the clamp on the wire fixed, hopefully who ever did the starter didn't mess up something and that connection is tight etc. If you get someone else to check it out, hope they have a video scope and can look at the starter connections.

I would remove all fusible links, since I haven't dealt with the main link I'm not sure how to disconnect it. It will be in one of the feed out wires that would be seen at the right front corner of the fuse and relay box that is near the battery it is not in the box but out side it according to the manual and is likely in the sheath covering the wires coming out. (cars right and left when sitting in driver seat looking forward)

With all those removed if you connect those wires to the battery and something happens then the problem is with the big power wire from the battery to the starter, or in the starter relay/solenoid. With all fusible links out of the circuit everything is off except for that big wire. There are 5 fusible links 4 in the box and the main that is outside the box, the 4 links are the ones closest to the engine, if you look inside the cover for that box there is a diagram telling what is what. And have the key off and in your hand when connecting and disconnecting the battery all doors unlocked and closed.

• 2 weeks later...