Trying To Identify Pipes And Hoses

Wallybally

Hi all,

I think I introduced a new problem myself. And I am trying to get to the bottom of this (litterally) so I can remedy the problem.

Everything was running smooth for the last month. Problems with leads/plugs and ACV and vaxcuum leaks were solved.

Just for an inspection I decided to risk my back and knees and pull the underside cover off.

Then I concluded there was no way to get my big hands to the ACV to get it off and put the bolt in. So no go on that one for now.

What I noticed was a hose and a pipe disconnected. It was on the driver-side, hose coming from the left, pipe coming from the right.

It looked like the should be connected, so I put the hose on the pipe and put the cover back on.

After that, every time I had a little drive, the smell coming from the car is a little burnt - like a lot of soot coming out somewhere.

Am I correct in assuming that the hose and pipe ar part of the EGR system ?

If yes, would hose and pipe being disconnected be a fix, done by the dealer, just to get rid of the smell and bypassing the egr ?

If so, does this mean there will be no way for me to fix the egr (cheaply !) so it will do its job, because all the pipes are blocked and no way for me to get them unblocked ?

I know, al lot of questions.

Really hoping someone has come accross this.

Thanks.

Walter

Even though I owned one of these for over a decade (and might have it back soon), I can't figure out what hose and pipe you are mentioning. Maybe snap a picture at next inspection as I am rather curious. Also (and might sound stupid) but I have no idea what an ACV is.

LOL.

ACV is the abbreviation that people here give the thingy that's on the underside of the Power Steering Pump that is is connected to the air intake with two hoses. I disconnected them both because of issues with leaking of PS fluid. I think the full name is Idle Up Air Control Valve ?

I will snap a picture maybe coming week when I can.

W.

If that is the hose that off, you can just eliminate the ACV by putting a threaded bolt in the hole where it screws in. Also block the vacuum lines on the intake manifold. What that does it give extra power assist for those unable to turn the nornal power steering wheel(?).

No, it is not a hose off the PS pump. I can see those, and that's not it.

There's a small vacuum hose size rubber hose coming from the left, almost on top of the under cover, and it was loose, but seemed to go on the pipe that was coming from the right.

I put it back on, and the smell started. But now the smell is gone, and the engine seems to have more power, picks up quicker.

Wednesday is my day off, I will try to get a picture up here.

Thanks

W.

One end of that hose is connected to the PS pump and there are 2. Both connect at the top of the engine. Since they are vacuum, if one off, you engine will run terrible. Other than that, I can' think of a hose?