Vibration At Highway Speeds.

New to the forums as a member but I have checked in before for some helpful tips. I have read throught the first 6 or 7 pages but have not run across a thread pertaining to a problem I am currently experiencing. I have an 07 GS350 AWD and have had it for just over a year. Recently I have started to get a vibration has been like nothing I have every felt before in any car. It comes and goes but has become for frequent lately. I am getting a vibration that begins around 60 mph. This is not a tire balancing issue as this was happening before I got new tires (I've had the new tires for about 800 miles). The other interesting part is that when I exit the highway and start to slow down, the vabration becomes something more of a thump with the rotation (this part is a little hard to discribe). I have had it into the shop 3 times for the same problem but the problem persists. My mechanic did find a broken motor mount on the drive load side that was broken and he replaced it. An engineer I know that seems to know cars pretty well thinks that it maybe a drive shaft embalance or possibly the motor or is not lined up correctly causing the lingage to bind a little (my words, not his). Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was the fix?

Thank you in advance for the help. This is driving me nuts.

I always think it's the tires. I know, they are new and all but when you have a rotational vibration and thumping that changes with speed, it usually comes back to tires. Might not be a tire, could be a wheel that was somehow damaged. If not, it comes down to suspension they after that transmission and driveline. I do know that a drive shaft slightly out of alignment will make your teeth shake.

I'll assume an alignment was done with the new tires. If not done properly (which many don't), you will shake. I agree that it is unacceptable so best luck with solving the problem.

Denny

Welcome to LOC.

So I have an '06 Rx400H and recently started to experience something similar. A humming noise around 50-60 mph, and I can feel a vibration thru the gas pedal. If I swerve steering wheel back and forth, at speed, the sound changes, only when I turn to left.

Anyway after googling a bunch of clues, I think I have a bad wheel bearing. Your symptoms sound similar, maybe???

Seems maybe not an isolated issue. I can't possibly see how wheel bearings on 2006-7 Lexus vehicles are bad. Very difficult to find people who know how to identify and correct the cause of problems like this. Having driven many old cars that vibrated, it is not something you can stand. When you said you had it in the shop, was it a Lexus dealership shop or someone else?

Patti- Though it was not a Lexus, I had a 2006 Trailblazer SS before this car that I had to replace both front wheel bearings (Chevy's are known for that problem). Your symtoms do seem like they maybe wheel bearing related based upon your desription. I would say try the right one first. Since the sound changes only when you make a turn one way but not the other, often times that is an indication that the opposite wheel bearing has gone bad.

Denny- Thank you for the welcome and for offering your thoughts. I have checked everything wheel related and we where looking at the drive shafts. The rear shaft is in alignment. I just noticed that my rear passanger rotor is getting hotter than the others. It looks like there maybe a stuck caliper causing an issue though it is not grabbing very hard. I think the friction maybe causing the vibration. I didn't think to look there since the brakes were just done last year and that happens to be a calliper that was replaced because it was the floating pin was rusted shut.

I have it going into the shop on Monday. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Scott