Synthetic Oil Comparisons?

Lexusfreak

Just courious if anybody knows if there are any tests that are available to compare the different brands of Synthetic oil out there? Not "dino" oil but specifically Synthetics (all major brands), Mobil 1, Amsoil, Red Line, Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline, Quaker State & the like. I wonder if anybody has info on test results Not opinions but actual proven facts with data & if so please post the link(s). Thought it would be intresting to see which brands come out on top. B) Or do tests for that not exist? :unsure: Any help is greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

I just love fellow gear-heads.

Lexusfreak, ask and ye shall receive.

I have to caution (no, no caution is too harsh), suggest, that you keep and open mind when reading. It is published by Amsoil so the findings may be worded in their favor.

I find this alot in the medical journals that I have to review. Studies submitted by companies tend to favor their product.

steviej

Understood steviej! B) & thanks for the link 99ls! I wonder if any "independent" firm, company or person have done this kind of thing that perhaps don't necessaraly "favour" and one brand of synthetic oil over another so that the test results aren't too biased. Anybody? :unsure: Thanks again gents! :D

If you haven't read the PINNED topic at the top of this forum "Everything you wanted to know about motor oil" you should. It is long, but I felt like I learned a lot about oil from the post. Check it out

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. I'm happy with it so far.

I have read that pinned topic yes....as good as it is, I'm asking for something a lot more specific that is not completely covered in that thread. :) 99ls has the right idea in the link he supplied, just a bit biased as steviej already mentioned but very close to being right on the money!

You might also check out:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Also you might get "The Motor Oil Bible" by Mike Kaufman

(if you have a lot of time :D )

After reviewing the above info (over a several year period), I am now using Amsoil, currently on about mile 18,000 on this change from dino on my 91 LS, which I bought in Sept 03 and changed then.

Also had been using Mobile 1 in wife's 96 LS for past 90,000, which now has about 188,000 mi. (orig owners). Switched to Amsoil but changed it at about 10,000 (six months of use) due to slight oil pan gasket leak. The Lexus "glue" just gave up apparantly. I don't believe it was related to the oil however, just useage.

Did an oil analysis on the 91 LS after using the Amsoil for about 12,000 miles. Results came out "Keep on using it", but it did reflect a higher than normal viscosity.

Will do another oil analysis at about 24,000 and definitely change it then. It was rather amazing that the oil looked and "felt", better than any oil changes I was accustomed to, - last 40 + yrs ;)

Also am using Amsoil in tranny and diffy too.

As you can tell, we do put a lot of miles on the cars, and I really got tired of all the oil changes (DIY).

No, I am NOT a distributor :geek: Maybe a bit gullible.

The Amsoil deal is cheaper in the long run for me, compared to Mobile 1, which is cheaper than dino (unless you change both kinds every 3,000). Just my opinion.

I am planning on reaching 400,000 on both cars, which will probably outlast me, but maybe not :cheers:

EB

No oil gelling issues or any engine problems with the "extended" oil drain intervals ebridges? :blink:

Amsoil prints articles about how 'TRUCKERS" go 300,000 miles on a single oil change using the additional oil BY-PASS FILTER. They just change the oil filter @ 30-40K intervals and do a test. Top off with fresh oil and away they go :lol:

Just crazy talk to me :o

I only drive 12K a year, so I enjoy changing the oil. Amsoil has a product called XL-7500 syn oil that is geared for the 7500 mile changes. I'd prefer to always do the oil change within that interval (or even 5K) so I may go back to using it. I just purchased a case of their regular 5-30W ( the 25k oil- providing you change filter @ 12.5K) -- so I've got some time.

Hey, even the Lexus owners manual only calls for oil changes every 7500 miles under normal conditions - and that's using dino oil :blink:

This 1UZFE engine is an absolute beast, built to withstand & last!!!!!!!!!! So successful that now they've gone to the 2UZFE updated version since the original design has proved so good over 12 years.

The engine is truely designed to deliver 400k miles - MINIMUM :D

Hey, even the Lexus owners manual only calls for oil changes every 7500 miles under normal conditions - and that's using dino oil :blink:

yeah, but read their description of "normal" driving.

That don't describe my normal driving.

I would say the most people's everyday normal driving is their description of "extreme" and thus I go with the 5000 mile interval.

steviej

No oil gelling issues or any engine problems with the "extended" oil drain intervals ebridges? 

None as far as I can tell yet. As I mentioned, the oil looked suprisingly light colored and felt extremely smooth to my layman's senses. Plus the oil analysis was very good. Without that, I definitely wouldn't "trust" my senses.

I may be biased from my experience operating jet engines which only use synthetic oil, basically since day one of jets. They operate from 20,000 to 40,000 rpm with extremely hot temps. Oil analysis were a "given".

I definitely believe in regular oil changes or at least a good analysis. But must have a really good product. The bypass filter makes a lot of sense too. But for a car, seems a bit expensive for low mileage driving.

As 99lsguy mentioned, Lexus recommended 7500 mile dino oil changes, which I did for the first 60,000, at the dealer for our 96 LS. Now have 190,000 on it, with no problems except as noted in previous post. Both 91 and 96 are running GREAT.

Note: Even Amsoil recommends oil filter changes every 6 months. There's a reason for that too. Even without use, there's a major corrosion problem. (evidenced by me trying to buy "old" unused aircraft which hadn't been run/flown, but didn't have new oil either. Big time problems.)

It seems weird to me that we're sticking to 3000 mile oil change recommendation by manufacturers, which was the same as I had heard with my first cars - several 1930 vintages ones :pirate:

I KNOW some progress has been made, since every 10,000 or less, we needed both new tires AND new spark plugs, etc. Nobody reached 100,000 miles, unless they faithfully changed that oil, probably had the head off, and had a great deal of luck besides. :cheers:

ebridges

As 99lsguy mentioned, Lexus recommended 7500 mile dino oil changes, which I did for the first 60,000, at the dealer for our 96 LS. Now have 190,000 on it, with no problems except as noted in previous post. Both 91 and 96 are running GREAT.

Note: Even Amsoil recommends oil filter changes every 6 months. There's a reason for that too. Even without use, there's a major corrosion problem. (evidenced by me trying to buy "old" unused aircraft which hadn't been run/flown, but didn't have new oil either. Big time problems.)

It seems weird to me that we're sticking to 3000 mile oil change recommendation by manufacturers, which was the same as I had heard with my first cars - several 1930 vintages ones :pirate:

I KNOW some progress has been made, since every 10,000 or less, we needed both new tires AND new spark plugs, etc. Nobody reached 100,000 miles, unless they faithfully changed that oil, probably had the head off, and had a great deal of luck besides. :cheers:

ebridges

Good points E!!

The previous owner always went 5K on the dino oil and somtimes 7500..........

But my Amsoil looks nice and clean after 4k miles on it....

however, by JUNE it will have been 6 months / 6kmiles since last oil change, so I'll probably change it just for fun :lol:

GREAT POINT ABOUT CHANGING OIL FILTER EVERY 6 MONTHS REGARDLESS!!!

Just courious if anybody knows if there are any tests that are available to compare the different brands of Synthetic oil out there?

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oils_against_oils.shtml is a site that does compare synthetics. Check it out. I doubt if any of them will "fail" in the quality cars owned by most of us and driven in a reasonable manner; ie not a grueling race.

• 1 year later...

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of this stuff but I would lean towards it being the best Syn oil. Motul. It is quite a bit more expensive than Mobil and as stated before, if you are changing the oil at the right intervals, I don't know that I would pay for it. It is mostly made for race applications and "crotch rockets" that use the same oil to not only lube the engine but also the gearbox. That is a testament in itself.

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of this stuff but I would lean towards it being the best Syn oil. Motul. It is quite a bit more expensive than Mobil and as stated before, if you are changing the oil at the right intervals, I don't know that I would pay for it. It is mostly made for race applications and "crotch rockets" that use the same oil to not only lube the engine but also the gearbox. That is a testament in itself.

Yes, been around for years. A little over priced in my book but that is me. Plus it would not call it the best. The only plus is high, real high amounts of moly. But on the flip side moly, well, sucks for doing long(er) drains. They are several cons to it too. You would need to do some UOA and see.

Calcium is below 2600 ppm last time I looked and Zddp are inline with lower Group 4 oils (cheaper price too) TBN is again inline with other oils. There VI levels are nothing high along with a average pour point. HTHS is again average at best; in the 3's. For the price they want for it, they can keep it.

I have a GSXR does not use it and never will either. That is my slanted view on it.

Yes, been around for years. A little over priced in my book but that is me. Plus it would not call it the best. The only plus is high, real high amounts of moly. But on the flip side moly, well, sucks for doing long(er) drains. They are several cons to it too. You would need to do some UOA and see.

Calcium is below 2600 ppm last time I looked and Zddp are inline with lower Group 4 oils (cheaper price too) TBN is again inline with other oils. There VI levels are nothing high along with a average pour point. HTHS is again average at best; in the 3's. For the price they want for it, they can keep it.

I have a GSXR does not use it and never will either. That is my slanted view on it.

I think I'll stick with my Amsoil personally....not a Motul fan. ;)