Looking For Oem Brakes

01GTB

Hi, I just found this site last night. I'm not a Lexus owner, but my mom has a 1995 SC400. I am not exactly sure who did the brakes last time, but I know her husband (who she is now seperated from) had some kevlar or some kind of high performance pads put on. It shakes terribly when braking at times and I am quite sure it needs new rotors and pads all the way around. I found Brembo rotors on TireRack and they had some low cost OEM-type pads listed as well. It has been my experience to stick with stock pads.

I work on all my stuff, which is pretty much all Fords. My mom mentioned taking it to a dealer and I have pretty much offered to do the job for her to save her money. I mainly need to know where to get the pads. We don't have a Lexus dealer within 35 miles or so of here and I would think you guys might know of a cheaper source? ;) Also, are the Brembo rotors that TireRack sells a good choice? I think they are about $70 each. Any specific brake fluid you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Keith

I might also recommend one of our vendors - JPI imports. They may be able to assist you with getting parts. Sounds like you are describing warped rotors wich could be the result of several things - not just pad type. Overtightening of lug nuts is the major cause there, brake use can be a factor - then pads but usually, they are last and only cause a problem if they are broken or uneven regardless of material. That is my experience. Tighten the lugs to spec and use the breaks moderately, the rotors "should" hold up. At least on the lexus.

Try some of our vendors - they will be able to help. If you still have trouble and want oem - I can get you in touch with a dealer out of Cali that has always done me right. They cost a little more though. Or you can do the standard internet fall backs.

I do have 4 rotors off my SC3 (1995) that were replaced for cross slotted type. The oem rotors havwe 65,000 miles on them. Probably 1 or two resurface jobs left. Rust on the usual places. I also have two front oem calipers - one will need a refurbish because one of the pistons popped out on me during removal.

Brake fluid, I like prestone dot 4. OEM equipment is Dot3. There is always the motul stuff. Dot 3 and 4 can be used together but I'd recommend removing all the old brake fluid if you change types.