Hunting For A 2000 Rx

fastbrick

I'm in the hunting mode for a CPO 2000 RX300. I've been researching the model for a while and I think it'll be a great vehicle for my wife (currently she drives an '00 Mazda MPV), since she wants to step up to something nicer, since we're used to more luxury-oriented cars, and she is now liking the higher seating position of a van/SUV-vs- a car.

Anyhoo, the local Lexus dealer has exactly zero CPO RXs available, and they don't know when they'll get more. I suppose they will be seeing many more with happy owners trading in for new RX330s. So, I just wait, and swing by constantly at the dealership, although they have my name and numbers.

What is the story with the CPO warranty? All I see is that it's a 3yr/100k (total mileage) warranty, but I don't see anywhere what it actually covers. Can someone help me out in that regard?

Also, as to price. It seems that the 'asking' price at used car lots (non-Lexus) is about $28k for a nicely optioned an maintained specimen, so shall I assume 1-2k increase for a CPO vehicle, as a rule?

Now some more (fun) questions.

I assume that US market RX300s do not come equipped with HID lamps? Is there a decent conversion that people do to upgrade this?

I've driven a few RXs and have been unimpressed with the sound systems (even the Nak versions)... but mainly in the bass area. What is the popular option to increase the bass? Subwoofer? Is there a nice, stealth method?

Thanks, and I very much enjoy browsing this site!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in the hunting mode for a CPO 2000 RX300. I've been researching the model for a while and I think it'll be a great vehicle for my wife (currently she drives an '00 Mazda MPV), since she wants to step up to something nicer, since we're used to more luxury-oriented cars, and she is now liking the higher seating position of a van/SUV-vs- a car.

Anyhoo, the local Lexus dealer has exactly zero CPO RXs available, and they don't know when they'll get more. I suppose they will be seeing many more with happy owners trading in for new RX330s. So, I just wait, and swing by constantly at the dealership, although they have my name and numbers.

What is the story with the CPO warranty? All I see is that it's a 3yr/100k (total mileage) warranty, but I don't see anywhere what it actually covers. Can someone help me out in that regard?

Also, as to price. It seems that the 'asking' price at used car lots (non-Lexus) is about $28k for a nicely optioned an maintained specimen, so shall I assume 1-2k increase for a CPO vehicle, as a rule?

Now some more (fun) questions.

I assume that US market RX300s do not come equipped with HID lamps? Is there a decent conversion that people do to upgrade this?

I've driven a few RXs and have been unimpressed with the sound systems (even the Nak versions)... but mainly in the bass area. What is the popular option to increase the bass? Subwoofer? Is there a nice, stealth method?

Thanks, and I very much enjoy browsing this site!

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/search.html

Follow the above link for a C.P.O. Lexus RX300. This will tell you if there are any in your area or if you need to go out of your area. Good Luck :cheers:

Thanks, although I tried the search, and then found out that my local dealer... the only Lexus dealer in roughly 2500miles actually... does not deal in CPO Lexus vehicles. Ah well, I may have to shop in Oregon (no sales tax).

Yeah some of them don't. As for Oregon having so sales tax, have you ever bought out of state before? Usually you pay sales tax in the state the car is titled and garaged in, not where its purchased. I know, PITA. Here we have Delaware 90 miles away with no sales tax, but we have to pay MD tax when we title the cars here.

I just took delivery of a 2000 CPO RX300 for my wife on Saturday. Kids are grown and so I was finally able to get her out of her vans. She absolutely loves it. She has never been this excited about a car, and never dreamed she could be. I wanted to go the CPO route in case the "oil sludge" problem cropped up, as my dealer put in writing the engine would be covered if there was a problem, as long as I maintained it properly in the future. I paid about $26000-$26500(depending on the actual value of my trade in) and it has 22000 miles on it.

BTW what is up with lexus? They sure nickel and dollar you to death on parts. My car came with the manual but not the supplemental one with the maintence schedual. they acutualy sell the damn thing for 15.00 WTF? Anyone can you copy that particular part and mail it or scan it and email it to me? Again an off lease car no second key or valet key price for key replacment 300 view on my face as I pay that priceless. david

Yeah some of them don't. As for Oregon having so sales tax, have you ever bought out of state before? Usually you pay sales tax in the state the car is titled and garaged in, not where its purchased. I know, PITA. Here we have Delaware 90 miles away with no sales tax, but we have to pay MD tax when we title the cars here.

Thanks for the suggestion about taxes. I've bought two cars in Oregon and driven them back to Alaska. Luckily, there's no sales tax here, so it's all good in that regard. However, you just have to want to drive 3000 for a car, and I love driving, and the AlCan highway is just breath taking in its scenery.

:( Don't be too envious of us. We may not pay sales tax, but the get us for a 2.5% Excise Tax on automobile purchases.