Vehicles We Drive And Perceptions

VBdenny

When I got my first Lexus back in 2002, I became the proud owner of a 1990 LS400 (another story pending on that) of which I couldn't believe I owned one of the best cars in the world, The sedan de ville, the Electra 225's, the Chevy's, Plymouths, Fords all them were gone. The Lexus was amazing and still what I consider the best and most road comfortable car I have ever owned (which is a bunch). Of course when driving it I found at times in traffic I felt I could hold my nose up just a little higher since this was a Lexus I was driving. Shifting my eyes under my sunglasses, I would check out the Mercedes and BMW people at lights, all without moving my head. Within a short time I was able to develop and attitude which certainly extended into my driving practices. I mean a Lexus should be able to cut off an old Dodge Stratus driven by pierced up mall working girls should it not?

Well that was stupid but as I have previously mentioned, I am a slow learner with wicked ADHD.

Now it is all in perceptions since you never know who is who. So who do I want to be today? I can dress in my old working clothes with ragged out old jeans and slap on my old seat encrusted Virginia Beach hat (got that way from mowing in it all summer and getting soaked in sweat then drying and crusting repetitively), slide on my comfy worn denim shirt then hop the '97 Silverado and look like to be an old conservative redneck who loves his redneck, white socks, and blue ribbon beer (which I do) and be invisible. Great for Home Depot, Lowe's and liquors stores. Terrible? yeah but depends on the mood. Slap on some slacks, and button down and take the Corolla and look like an environmentally concerned liberal and drive around slowing down for duck walking across streets and stuff like that with the same people (sporting "I don't believe the liberal media" stickers)(on the paint) who smiled at me in my Silverado are now frowning at me in the Corolla? I don't care which side you're on but my rules include no stickers and never on paint. Pretty nice because I can be a conservative or liberal depending on my feelings that day.

Of course when in Massachusetts I sometime drive my wife's RAV4. Talk about an invisible vehicle? cops ignore the things and so should you (my wife doesn't read the forum). For a bubble car (what I call the style), her 13 RAV4 Limited is really nice. For me, they are boring and mommy (or retired) looking things.

Once in awhile I get out the IS and then I'll plead the 5th.

Denny

So true. I had a totally different attitude when I drove my Z28. I would be a bit embarrassed to drive it through the nicer areas because I would feel like the snobs were just thinking I was a poor little thing having to drive a 17 year old Camaro. At car shows, poker runs, the track.....I was the belle of the ball. I can't tell you how many people told me that that was the most beautiful Camaro they ever saw. I was always proud to be behind the wheel when I was around the crowd that appreciated the perfect condition of a car that age and the fact I could outrun 90% of the cars on the road.

When I'm in Lexie....I don't bow my head to anybody. It might not be the most expensive Lexus, but she sure is one of the prettiest. I can tell you that sometimes I'm ashamed of myself when I'm around a bunch of hard working men out in the hot sun. They are working their tails off and I'm cruising around in a Lexus convertible. I am not about to go into religion here...but I feel like I'm not being much of a Christian. :blushing: I do thank God though for being so blessed and try to tell myself that I worked hard for 40 some odd years while raising 2 kids and I deserve a car like that.

I don't want people to think I'm a stuck up snob, or like the car and the porcupine joke. I just want to enjoy something that I worked really hard for and I take good care of it and will never take it for granted.

Gee...I got serious, didn't I?

I like to use the Mercedes C250 on long trips, quick, comfy and economical. Kick in the turbo and literally blow off the rif-raf on occasion, although most drive here at 75-80mph on open freeways which is fine.

I have a Honda Civic for driving/parking in questionable neighborhoods or going to Home DDepot.

I too like dressing up or down, but mostly down as when I retired I just don't care about the image I portray to folks, My up bringing is you don't judge and treat everyone well. Also if you dress down you aren't a target for rif raf in our society, I mean who wants to rob somebody that looks like they have less then them. You just have to sneak up on your car when going to the parking lot. Love the RX400h, it is a true road car and a real sleeper....Funny how electric motors give such on demand torque. Hey wore suit and tie for 32 years, been there, done with it. Would love to have one of my old British cars to play with, but I know that is probably not going to happen....so for now its a Ford F150 with camper shell, and as red neck as I can look. Who would ever know the holes in my jeans are a fashion statement and I didn't have to buy them that way. just my 2 cents.

When I go to "bad" parts of town, I wear a lot less jewelry than I would if I was shopping out this way or going somewhere with my hubby. I don't want to call attention to myself.

Memphis is the second most dangerous city in the US. You REALLY have to watch out for yourself.

wow, didn't expect that others thought that way. lenore's point is very close to mine. You never know who you are meeting or see so I never assume. Sometimes my wife bothers me when I go out because I look kind of lower regular and then drive the old truck to a store. For whatever reason it's pretty fascinating for me to put on my headphones with tunes, go into stores and walk around and be invisible. Dress up, load on jewelry and walk around in stores and you look like bait. Well, not just look, you are bait. If you see me in a store, you won't see me in a store.

Some of the poorest people I have known, lived in the nicest homes, had the nicest cars, and lived the nice lifestyle. Most of the richest people I know lived low key, low profile lifestyles, lived in moderate homes and drove moderate cars. Now the poorest people have been repo'd, foreclosed, divorced, etc while the richest are buying stuff, traveling and having fun.

Luckily for me many years ago I read a book of which the name I am unable to remember but the point was this, your wealth is determined by how much you earn, but by how much you keep. Good motto to live by.

Thanks for chipping in, nice to know I'm not alone.

Denny

Denny, don't let my hubby read that book!!!!!! J/K

I'll never forget a pic I saw of Paul and Linda McCartney once on the cover of a magazine, I think it was Time. He had his arms around her and it was a headshot of both of them and it showed their hands. All they both had on was just a gold band. There they could afford anything they wanted, but that is what they had. Very un-Kardashian like.