Struts & Strut Mounts

I purchased a 1997 ES300 with 82,000 miles. Thanks to this forum, I diagnosed the front end "rattle" as bad strut mounts.

While the dealer came to the same conclusion, his approach to the job was to replace the mounts ONLY, and reuse the old struts. This "repair" was quoted at $500.

1. Is the dealer off base in reusing the old struts?

2. Any thoughts about using KYB vs factory struts and strut mounts?

3. If I replace the rear struts, should I do rear strut mounts too?

Thanks,

Gary

Funny you brought this up, as I was just headed down to have my mounts done. They just did the KYB struts on my 97' and it still sounded like something was wrong. We found out it was the mounts for sure, and had them price it out for me at the Toyota shop, as they are also Lexus certified. The mounts are the same as the 97' Camary, and the cost was about $62 per side, and the labor was free because they felt bad about not catching it earlier. I don't think the labor should be more than a couple hours, plus the alignment cost. The only thing is, that you'll be wanting to replace the struts in while anyway. They made a big difference in handling in my car @ 110k miles. So, I would definitely do them both for sure! Its cheaper to do it at the same time.

If you are having work done that involves removing/replacing the struts and/or mounts and the car is near 90k in mileage, seriously consider getting the KYBs and having them installed. Compare prices online and have the shop match the price or just order them online and bring them in for the shop to install. Newer KYB struts will preserve the Lexus ride.

I think I am looking at having to get the struts & mounts done at all 4 corners. I want to keep the same ride quality and I am not interested in lowering the car - so what are the KYB struts that you mention above?

yeah, funny...

Im now riding on tokico's and eibachs prokits. Just got it done. However, now all of a sudden im getting that creaking sound. if my mounts werent bad then, how come there creaking now ?