Trunk Release Won't Work When Button Pushed

If this was my post (I did not use NOLA97Lex seems like system merged an old profile -- I thought I submitted TZXLYD but anyway) I meant the trunk will only open with the key -- key fob battery is good because it will open the door but not the trunk. Trunk can only be opened by using the key -- the trunk release button in the car does not work either. So, I wondered if it is a fuse as I would hope the trunk cable/wire is not broken.

Which fuse is for the door locks is shown in the owner's manual and on the fuse box covers. The problem could be that the electrical servo function of the trunk latch has failed since neither the remote nor the interior switch will open the trunk.

Anyone have a problem with the hood release? I have a 97 SC300 and now only the key will open my hood. I have tried the key fob and it doesn't work either. Could this be a fuse issue?

You asked about fuses, my 2013 ES shows a fuse for "power trunk lock and unlock." These fuses are located on the drivers side foot well, up high to the dash line.

Sadclown,

You
helped me -- I did not know what the valet switch was so I "Googled" it and there was a youtube of the similar problem in the search results (

) -- titled, "SC300/SC400/LS400/GS300/GS400/GS430 DIY - If Your Trunk Lock Button doesn't work". It appears that I must have accidentally pushed in the locking button between the electronic gas door and trunk release
buttons. I unlocked it with my key and "viola". Unfortunately, in the video they did not have the original key just the valet key, so my solution was much simpler. Thank you and all who responded to my plight -- your responses guided me to the correct answer.

Sincerely,​

• 5 years later...

I know this subject has been covered a bunch of times on here,  but I've never actually found the correct answer or a definitive answer on how to get the trunk open when it's stuck on a first-generation LS400 ... I know nothing about taking a power source and wire jumping to make it pop.. I don't know if there is a relay or fuse it , doesn't seem like the cable has anything wrong with it when I pull it under the dash ...but I can't get my trunk open.... can a locksmith get it open by picking the lock I don't have a trunk key I only have ignition keys that's all that came with this car when I bought it five years ago... does anybody have a real answer on how to easily pop that trunk open??    I need to know because I've never actually found the answer on any of these forums and it's not the lock push in thing on the dash under the steering area.   Thanks very much.  It's been locked shut for a while and I need my hiking boots and my tools out of the back it worked perfect all along and then just one day it wouldn't open so I'm assuming it's electrical for sure a relay or the wire problem or something

1 hour ago, Tacomaa6 said:

I know this subject has been covered a bunch of times on here,  but I've never actually found the correct answer or a definitive answer on how to get the trunk open when it's stuck on a first-generation LS400 ... I know nothing about taking a power source and wire jumping to make it pop.. I don't know if there is a relay or fuse it , doesn't seem like the cable has anything wrong with it when I pull it under the dash ...but I can't get my trunk open.... can a locksmith get it open by picking the lock I don't have a trunk key I only have ignition keys that's all that came with this car when I bought it five years ago... does anybody have a real answer on how to easily pop that trunk open??    I need to know because I've never actually found the answer on any of these forums and it's not the lock push in thing on the dash under the steering area.   Thanks very much.  It's been locked shut for a while and I need my hiking boots and my tools out of the back it worked perfect all along and then just one day it wouldn't open so I'm assuming it's electrical for sure a relay or the wire problem or something

It sounds like the only keys you have are valet keys.  You need a master key to open the trunk with a key.  I think you can get a master key if you have a valet key although it might be a little pricey.  IIRC, the two LS400's I bought each came with two master keys, one valet key and one wallet key.

I'd be hard pressed to find instructions or an old forum thread that tells how to jump the circuit to open the trunk but I think it involves bridging two wires behind the dash mounted trunk switch.  A locksmith might even know how to do it.  I don't think a physical cable runs from the dash mounted trunk switch back to the trunk lock.  I think it is all electric.  My memory is fading about it since I sold my last LS400 seven years ago.

The keys and fuses are described in your owners manual.  If you don't have one or want to view it online I can be viewed without registering at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/resources/manuals-warranty