Ls430 Beyond 100k Miles

HayesFreeman

Hi.

Im leaning heavily toward buying an older LS430. It looks like I can afford a 2005 with almost 100k miles.
I have read all of the glowing reviews about this car.
My question is: What can I expect to be spending on this car in maintenance/repairs if I drive one of these from, lets say 85k miles to 200k miles?
If you have driven one of these through this mileage range, what big expenses did you experience?

Also. On an older LS430, should I buy a more base model with less electronics to fail during this older age? or is EVERYTHING on these machines reliable through it's second decade?

As a side note, I will be purchasing one with verifiable service records...

thank you

Having owned a 1990 LS400 from new until 2003 when I sold it at 183,000 miles and a 2000 LS400 from 2003 (38,000 miles) until I sold it in 2014 at 179,xxx miles, I've pretty much decided that 150,000 miles and 10 years since new is going to be my new limit for keeping cars. Too much went wrong with these two cars between 150,000 miles and when I sold them. And way, way, way too much went wrong with my Mercedes (purchased new in 1979) between 150,000 and when I sold it at 210,000 miles in 1990 - it was a rusted through hulk at the end.

Both LS400's looked and mostly drove like new when I sold them but a variety of problems were arising - some electrical and some mechanical although neither used a drop of oil between oil changes when I sold them. I pretty much allowed at least $1,000 per year for repairs and maintenance after 150,000 miles. The new starter alone for my 2000 LS400 in around 2012 was something like $800.

The LS430, like all LS400's, has a timing belt that is schedule for replacement every 90,000 miles or 6 years - currently about a $1,200 - $1,700 job depending on whether it is done by an indie shop or a Lexus dealer.

One thing we have missed by keeping cars as long as we have done is new technology - especially safety features. Personally, if I was going to buy an LS430, I would want only a 2005 or 2006 with the "Custom Luxury Selection" with Pre-Collision System and Radar Cruise Control which seems to be even rarer than LS430's with the Ultra Luxury Package with Pre-Collision and Radar Cruise Control. The Custom Luxury Selection provides everything that the Ultra Luxury provides except for the reclining climate controlled rear seats with audio controls and massage, air suspension, and cool box. The Ultra Luxury loses a lot of trunk space due to the rear A/C.

I actually did try to find a used low mileage (< 36,000 miles) 2005 or 2006 LS430 with Custom Luxury, PCS and Radar cruise about seven or eight years ago and was unable to find one in an acceptable color.

Also be aware that replacement parts are not necessarily available as a car ages. For example, several years before I sold my 2000 LS400 last year, replacement seat belts in some colors were no longer available. And for the 2001-2003 LS430, annual navigation system updates have been discontinued.

I hope I didn't paint too gloomy a picture for you. The LS430 is a wonderful car but nothing lasts for ever. Even today I might consider buying one if I found a "CL" like I mentioned above in perfect condition and with very few miles ... if I had another garage space.

You can see the specs and available options for the 2005 LS430 at http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2005/2005LSspecs.pdf

• Like 1

We purchased an '04 LS430 with @100K on the odometer. It now has @200k and still runs as well as at 100.

It is a superior car. Comfortable, well made, extremely reliable. We also have a Toyota FJ that the wife loves.

Over the past 8 years what I've done:

- regular oil & filter changes every 3000 miles (I use Mobile 1)

- K&N washable air filter, regular cabin filter

- new Michelins (4) 2013

- 180K timing belt/water pump

- new brakes and rotors, 2014

- O2 sensors. (one went bad, so.I replaced all 4, keeping the other 3

And thats about it. Our Daughter now drives the car and will take it to college next year.

I expect that she will still be driving it until she graduates from college.

• Like 1

We purchased an '04 LS430 with @100K on the odometer. It now has @200k and still runs as well as at 100.

It is a superior car. Comfortable, well made, extremely reliable. We also have a Toyota FJ that the wife loves.

- new Michelins (4) 2013

And thats about it. Our Daughter now drives the car and will take it to college next year.

Thank you both for responding. This helps a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

To this list I would add motor and transmission mounts and possible a couple suspension bushings; as you approach 100k the front ones may need attention.

Other than that there's not much to worry about on these cars if you don't have the air suspension. To Jim's point you'll miss out on some of the newer tech; but the car's basic goodness makes up for many of those issues. I'd rather have a 10 year old LS than a new Corolla.

The LS400 that's approaching 900k miles still has the original engine and transmission; they were rebuilt around 600k miles. So these cars last.

I have both an LS430 (115k miles)and an LS600hL; and I"m always surprised at how much I still enjoy driving the LS430. It's a little quieter and I like the sound of the V8 a little more.

The LS430 is one of the best used car deals out there right now; at any price point.

- new Michelins (4) 2013

• 4 years later...

I’ve had my 2005 LS 430 for a year, bought from the best Lexus dealer (Bell Lexus Scottdale AZ). They went through this one owner and all I’ve had was front end torchion bars, and that covered by extended warranty . 
I have really enjoyed this beauty! Bought it with 94500, now 101750. Something makes me want to buy this 2018 Prius c level 4, with 81 k miles.. seems I go back and forth with larger and smaller. I have one more year warranty on my Lexus.. but repairs are scaring me for farther in the future because I will be retiring in the next year perhaps 

help !!!!  Someone give me their opinion please!!! 
Robert