Will Sc300 Run Without Instrument Cluster?

jefflamonica

I'm new to the forum as we just picked up a 93 SC300 for my wife. Got it for a song, but I have some things to fix up on it, of course. One of those is the notorious instrument cluster lighting (backlights and needles). I found a service in eBay which will do a lighting refurb with two different variations of the needles -- backlight plus full needle lighting $199, backlight plus needle tip lighting $109. Lifetime warranty. Better than replacing the cluster and having to have the odometer corrected too. Now, to the point: I have to ship off my instrument cluster, and it will take 2-3 weeks round trip. Will the car drive without the instrument cluster installed?

Yes, I understand the perils of driving it without being able to see speed, temp and fuel level. But, if it will run, I'll drive it for that period, and I only have three miles to work on a country road. :)

Probably, but why risk it?

These cars are completely computer controlled and most likely not having the cluster gauges hooked up would not be a problem. That said, I once cooked a computer on an '89 Toyota just running without a back-up light switch. Seemed the grounding to the transmission controls/sensors into the computer ran through the switch. Extra current loads on other sensors into the computer overloaded it.

New or rebuilt computer $1200 - fortunately I found a used one in a junk yard - $200 and I was luck enough that it still worked. No telling what a Lexus computer will cost.

Who knows what circuits would be affected in the SC300 computer without the cluster and all the open circuits.

Moreover, suppose there is some malfunction that could cook the engine - coolant loss for example - that you'd miss until it was too late.

Let us know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...