Ls400 Dash Lights

Lexus LS400 '93 and '94 have a problem with the instrument cluster lights (dash lights). Many many people have this problem. The dash lights won't come on for a while, then they will flicker and finally come on. This is more evident in cold weather. This problem gets worse over a period of weeks or months until they will refuse to come on at all. When the light are off, the fuel gauge points to empty as well.

The problem, I found, is in the power supply circuit boards. They are located behind the instrument cluster. I have compiled some detailed instructions on how to remove those boards. If you want a copy of those instructions, just Email (PM) me. I'll Email them to you, no charge. I would attach them here, but they are larger than the 102.4KB limit on this board.

My car did that. '93 LS400. The Lexus dealer wanted $1400 to repair it. I repaired mine myself, I'm an electronics engineer and I can help you repair yours too! Email me or PM me

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

I have the Repair for your '93 or '94 LS400 flickering INSTRUMENT LIGHTS! I'm an electronics engineer and have found the solution to this common problem on my own car! I want to help you with your problem too.

• 3 weeks later...
hello,I'm having the same problem with my instrument cluster. Can you please help me?

You can email me at tru2bluoval@yahoo.com. thanks, shane williams

E-mail Jim Walker at the address shown in post #27 above. He will send you an instruction sheet describing the steps needed to remove the instrument cluster. You then send the cluster to Jim in Fresno, Ca. He does a very quick turnaround. I don't know exactly what the charge for this service is now, probably somewhere in the $200 range.

I have not noticed a post by Jim on this forum in a long time.

• 5 months later...
Lexus LS400 '93 and '94 have a problem with the instrument cluster lights (dash lights). Many many people have this problem. The dash lights won't come on for a while, then they will flicker and finally come on. This is more evident in cold weather. This problem gets worse over a period of weeks or months until they will refuse to come on at all. When the light are off, the fuel gauge points to empty as well.

The problem, I found, is in the power supply circuit boards. They are located behind the instrument cluster. I have compiled some detailed instructions on how to remove those boards. If you want a copy of those instructions, just Email (PM) me. I'll Email them to you, no charge. I would attach them here, but they are larger than the 102.4KB limit on this board.

My car did that. '93 LS400. The Lexus dealer wanted $1400 to repair it. I repaired mine myself, I'm an electronics engineer and I can help you repair yours too! Email me or PM me

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

I have the Repair for your '93 or '94 LS400 flickering INSTRUMENT LIGHTS! I'm an electronics engineer and have found the solution to this common problem on my own car! I want to help you with your problem too.

• 1 month later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

I don't know if you are still there... But i have a 94 sc 400 that the lights are all almost out...Can you send me details to fix...Revron1@aol.com

I don't know if you are still there... But i have a 94 sc 400 that the lights are all almost out...Can you send me details to fix...Revron1@aol.com

The lighting issues for your SC are a little different from the ones in the LS.

Your cluster is illuminated with 8 or so regular light bulbs (which have probably burned out). The LS clusters are illuminated by CCFL's (miniature fluorescent bulbs) which are a little more complicated.

If your SC needles are burned out in places (or all together) it's also a different issue than the LS needles burning out. Your SC needles are illuminated by 15 or so miniature LED's (SMD's) lined up in a row. The engineers screwed up with voltage and resistance and over time they heat up and some of the SMD's burn out. The LS needles are CCFL's themselves and burn out just like those long fluorescent bulbs in the ceilings do.

You can fix your SC backlighting by removing the cluster and replacing the 8 or so bulbs. You can buy them from Autozone etc, you'll just need to replace the blue caps with the ones from the bulbs in your cluster (careful they break easily).

But if your needles are burned out, you're outta luck as far as repairing them. You can sometimes find used needles on ebay (but they're most likely burned out as well as yours are, it's a common prob) or you can contact lextech.org as they sell replacements.

I used to do SC and ES needle/backlighting fixes on ebay a while back but lextech.org threatened to sue me for patent issues... So they're your only hope as far as fixing the SC and ES needles :(

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

Hi my name is Glen Spokes and im from winnipeg manitoba canada. I have a 93 LS400 and the dash light problem is so annoying as it takes so long in winter to warm up, flicker and come on if it even does and summer is pretty much same..I would love to get it fixed but dealership wants me to buy a whole new instrument pannel.. What sorts of cost would it be for u to repair it? any help at all i would really appreciate thanks..jjspokes_69@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

Dear Sir,

plz can you send me all the details on how to fix me speedometer.. you can send them to my email [aanthony@eim.ae] looking forward to hear from you soon..

thank you

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

Posted 18 augost 2010 - 11.20 PM

Hi my name is Ricardo and i have a 1993 LS400 and the cluster lights (dash lights). do exactly what you are describing. I would like to know how to fix it. Please send me directions please help me a love my car and y need too fixed. Thanks!

My email is

mricardosir@hotmail.com

• 10 months later...

i pulled mine out and had a friend that owns a electric motor repair shop solder on the new capacitors. The only problem is that now, after it is really warmed up (an hour of so of driving), the thing occasionally flashes on and off. Any ideas? loose connection? capacitor not rated hot enough? I'm a little out of my element with anything electrical, so any help is appreciated.

THanks,

Brett

• 2 months later...

Hi Jim,

I have had the same problem with my Lexus LS400 for a few years now. My aggravation reached it's climax this past weekend while I was on a trip and I was very frustrated when I couldn't even see my gas gauge until they began to flicker and eventually came on after almost 2 hours. It's somewhat comforting knowing that other people have the problem as well. I'd love to figure out how I can fix it instead of forking over a huge amount of money to the dealership. I'm dreading the cold weather that is now approaching because I know my dash light will be soon flickering everyday for the next several winter months. Is there any way you can offer me any advice on what to do?

I tried emailing you but it will not go through. I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone who can assist me on this topic.

My email is lugardefelicidad@gmail.com

-svanLS400

• 5 months later...

My speedometer is dead... the only thing that works is the rpm meter... I don't know how fast I'm going or how much fuel I have left! Help! email: sadgurlo@yahoo.com

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi i am from finland and i have same problem with my lexus 400 LS -93, could you please send me email so i can fix the problem... :)

Thanks and sorry my lousy english.....

Jussi

j_palmu@hotmail.com

• 8 months later...

Hey there, my ls 400 lexus was passed down to me and the electrical problems started before I got it. It actually has a few problems; the dashboard lights just dont turn on at all anymore, even if I warm the car up before I drive, there may be a problem with the fuze plugs because my radio doesnt work anymore. But anyways, the previous owner said it was too expensive to fix it at the time. Im tired of driving and not being able to see how fast i am going, not being able to see when my gas light comes on and not knowing where I stand with how much gas I have in my car, etc. I was hoping you can send me those instructions so I can fix this problem on my own.

jertrinidad93@hotmail.com or you can reply through a personal message on here

Thank you

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Mr. Walker. Your not the Pro Golfer r U? I have the Same problem as everyone else. Mine come on intermittent when I turn the ignition on. I tend to think that the problem is in ignition switch. I am interested in your repair if ignition switch exchange does not work. Hope you are still around. Stay healthy. Regards Tim Whalen.