Ls400 Dash Lights

Lexus LS400 '93 and '94 have a problem with the instrument cluster lights (dash lights). Many many people have this problem. The dash lights won't come on for a while, then they will flicker and finally come on. This is more evident in cold weather. This problem gets worse over a period of weeks or months until they will refuse to come on at all. When the light are off, the fuel gauge points to empty as well.

The problem, I found, is in the power supply circuit boards. They are located behind the instrument cluster. I have compiled some detailed instructions on how to remove those boards. If you want a copy of those instructions, just Email (PM) me. I'll Email them to you, no charge. I would attach them here, but they are larger than the 102.4KB limit on this board.

My car did that. '93 LS400. The Lexus dealer wanted $1400 to repair it. I repaired mine myself, I'm an electronics engineer and I can help you repair yours too! Email me or PM me

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

I have the Repair for your '93 or '94 LS400 flickering INSTRUMENT LIGHTS! I'm an electronics engineer and have found the solution to this common problem on my own car! I want to help you with your problem too.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am also having a problem with my instrument cluster, the RPM guage doesn't work anymore. It stopped working after I hit a huge pot hole. I think it's just something loose or got disconnected. If you can please email me the instructions on how to take it apart and check. thanks My email moune186@yahoo.com

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I dont have the light problem but my temperature guage doesnt work. it stays pegged at hot. do you know how to repair?

Lexus LS400 '93 and '94 have a problem with the instrument cluster lights (dash lights). Many many people have this problem. The dash lights won't come on for a while, then they will flicker and finally come on. This is more evident in cold weather. This problem gets worse over a period of weeks or months until they will refuse to come on at all. When the light are off, the fuel gauge points to empty as well.

The problem, I found, is in the power supply circuit boards. They are located behind the instrument cluster. I have compiled some detailed instructions on how to remove those boards. If you want a copy of those instructions, just Email (PM) me. I'll Email them to you, no charge. I would attach them here, but they are larger than the 102.4KB limit on this board.

My car did that. '93 LS400. The Lexus dealer wanted $1400 to repair it. I repaired mine myself, I'm an electronics engineer and I can help you repair yours too! Email me or PM me

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

I have the Repair for your '93 or '94 LS400 flickering INSTRUMENT LIGHTS! I'm an electronics engineer and have found the solution to this common problem on my own car! I want to help you with your problem too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

My dash is completely out except when I start my car. The pointers flicker and all of the sensor lights light up but I have no idea how much gas I have or how fast I am going..(not good for a girl with a bit of a lead foot). I have a '93 LS that I love but don't want to spend thousands to repair the dash. I am in the Indianapolis area if you know of anyone here, but I would also love to have the info on repairing it. I can get a friend to help me.

Thank you soooo much!!!!

My email is misshooty2004@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

I'll bet if you ask SK or one of the other moderators maybe they can still add it to this section in spite of the limit. This is a great service you have provided and through the years I know you have helped many people here. I would love to have a copy even though I don't have this problem.

Denny

and I forgot....

Michael, are you SURE it is not that you really are running hot? My brother had a waterpump impeller break one time and he thought it was the gauge but it wasn't. Just a thought since if it breaks it seems the gauge would rest on C

• 3 months later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

thanks jim any help would be greatly appreciated you can e- mail to speedypetey52@yahoo.com

--------------------

• 1 month later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

Hi, do you know where to get those two oval shaped flourescent bulbs that go in the instrument cluster to light up the speedometer and tach gauge?

--------------------

My dash is completely out except when I start my car. The pointers flicker and all of the sensor lights light up but I have no idea how much gas I have or how fast I am going..(not good for a girl with a bit of a lead foot). I have a '93 LS that I love but don't want to spend thousands to repair the dash. I am in the Indianapolis area if you know of anyone here, but I would also love to have the info on repairing it. I can get a friend to help me.

Thank you soooo much!!!!

Hi, do you know where to get those two oval shaped flourescent bulbs that go in the instrument cluster to light up the speedometer and tach gauge?

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

Thank you soooo much!!!!

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

Thank you soooo much!!!!

Yes, I have those oval lights, but chances are they are not bad. There are other reasons for those not to light up. Email me directly so I can send the info. jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have a 92 LS400 that in the last month the light on the needle of the speed guage is half out or black, but only half of the needle. Not sure what this is all about. For a few years now the LCD the you read temp & clock is dark and you can't read, but the LCD fpr the radio/CD is fine.

Paul

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 1996 LS400 and I am having a problem with the speedometer not working in the morning but it eventually starts working after driving about 10 miles. Would this fix also help my problem? I would like to have the instructions if it would fix my problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mary

• 3 months later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

• 1 month later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

• 2 months later...

Hi Jim-

I have a 95 SC400, the dash lights are partially out. It might helpful for me to use your instructions. Thanks, Mark

fullerm410@msn.com

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

i have a 1993 lexus ls400. i also have the same problem. please email me the instructions to correct this problem.i am trying to get the car inspected but i cant get the lights to come on when i have an appointment.they only come on when they want to.the dash lights are my only problem with this car and i really need to get it inspected.my email is shorttacks@cox.net. thank you very much.

kristie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

--------------------

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim !

I have 1993 Lexus LS 400 V8

My dashboard lights flicker on and off constantly sometimes the dash goes completely black. Cant see anything and don't know how much gas I have and how fast I am going. Dashboards lights do not work on cold/damp mornings until the car warms up, Takes about 50 miles to drive in cold weather and 5-10 miles when it's warm. Dash lights never turn on until the temperature reaches good temperture. Also I have problem which my ODO, sometimes it's mixed up . Is there way to display correct ODO?? Any help would be most appreciated.

Would you please send me instructions,how to solve the problem ! Thank you very much !