80k Service Cost $300 Overcharge

MoreOrLex

Took my 2010 450h to a dealer for warranty service to replace rear shocks and decided to do the minor 80k service at the same time. The shocks were free, but the service cost me about $300!

The 80k svc - basically an oil change and safety inspection - cost $121 labor + $60 parts (synth oil, filter, gasket, remote battery). They also said a "preventative 4-wheel alignment" is recommended - another $130. I knew my tires had normal wear and were fine, but I agreed nevertheless.

By comparison, the local Lexus certified indie shop charges about $70 for the same 80k service - including parts. Granted, they don't have massaging chairs, hot popcorn or wash the car like the dealer.

The dealer was very nice, but even with the amenities it seemed a little outrageous. Am I wrong?

Why are you asking since it seems that you were aware that you were being taken (for a ride)? It's the "American Way" to get people to buy things they don't need.

I misread the estimate and thought it was $180 for everything. It wasn't super clear on the sheet, but ultimately it was my fault. My big take away was never drop off your car when you're in a hurry. More to the point, I was just wondering if others have been quoted the same for these dealer services.

• 8 months later...

I was shocked when I found that the 5000 mile service at the dealership cost $280.  I was in for a check engine light, and the computer screen on service advisor's desk is promoting 10% off on $280 oil change/inspection.  I remembered that 6 years ago, it was more like $120, which is already double the price of local mechanics.