2009 Rx350 Brake Pad Composition

i have a 2009 lexus rx350 fwd that needs some new pads on the front end. anyone know the pad composition of the oem pads - ceramic or semi-metallic?

almost every parts website i've checked seems to show that oem is ceramic. but two local lexus dealers and one toyota dealer tells me they're semi-metallic. i don't know why, but the dealerships sound wrong. lol.

anyhow, i don't want to mix the two front to back.

Interesting question - I just replaced the front pads yesterday on my wife's '09 RX350 @57k miles (the original pads).

I went to Autozone and their computer screen suggested that the OEM pads were semi-metallic and offered those as a direct replacement but offered ceramic as an alternative. I decided to go with the ceramics...probably the last set of pads we'll need to put on it because she's getting a bit tired of the Lexus since we bought it in 2008...she's just ready for something "new", though the Lexus has been the best vehicle we've ever owned.

I didn't hesitate to put ceramics on the front with semi-metallic on the back...why would you? Having mismatched materials on the same axle would not be good, but front to back I can't see it being an issue.

so you went with the autozone house brand? let me know how you like them. the warranty is interesting. guy at the store told me that you can exchange them in for a new set when you run them down. something about typical owners not keeping keep their vehicles long enough to go through another set. lol.

I didn't hesitate to put ceramics on the front with semi-metallic on the back...why would you? Having mismatched materials on the same axle would not be good, but front to back I can't see it being an issue.

i read it's not a good idea to mix brakes that "bite" differently, since ceramics brake better. something about possibly upsetting the traction control, abs system, and/or F/R braking bias.

Yeah...the "Duralast Gold"...funny thing...the clerk at Autozone told me the same thing...surprised me, but it's good to know. (that they'll replace the pads when they wear out).

I hadn't heard/read that about the "biting differently"...does kinda make sense. Guess we'll keep an eye on it and see how it does. May just go ahead and put ceramics on the back as well.

What really surprised me about her Lexus...we haven't had a single issue with it, except it seems to need a new LF wheel bearing. I ordered a complete hub assembly from Rock Auto for ~$42 - went ahead and got two - one for each side. I wouldn't think a wheel bearing would go bad with such low mileage (~50k when her father noticed the noise and said it's probably a wheel bearing). The new hubs are supposed to be here tomorrow.

...almost 100,000 miles on our RX400h and the OEM pads have plenty of material left. But yes, it is good practice to keep front and rear's the same. Be aware that there are many "mixtures" of ceramic pads out there. Some are far more abrasive to the rotors than others. I tend to stay with OEM if the originals performed well and lasted a good long time.

WOW!!!! That's phenomenal!!! I thought 57k miles was good for a set of pads, of course they're semi-metallic, not ceramic. Personally, I can't see the huge deal with ceramics up front and semi-metallic out back, at least until the rears wear out. This isn't a performance/track vehicle and it doesn't get driven aggressively. When the rears have reached the end of their service life, I'll switch to ceramics at that point.

I also don't see paying OEM prices if I don't have to...they're ridiculous (usually), compared to parts store prices.

Remember that hybrid vehicle power regeneration from braking slows the vehicle down considerably without pad-to-rotor contact. It's during only aggressive braking when pad wear occurs. But regarding having two different pad compounds, front to rear: I agree that it is most likely not dangerous. Still, given the wide variety of pads available and no easy way to compare them all, I still believe that OEM pads are a much safer bet to achieve braking performance, quietness, and longevity. Plus, your overall cost is relatively little when you divide it by the number of years those pads last.

I think you answered your own question - "there seems to be no concensus"...I can tell you (as I've already stated) that Autozone showed the OE pads to be semi-metallic but ceramics as a suitable replacement.

I think you answered your own question - "there seems to be no concensus"...I can tell you (as I've already stated) that Autozone showed the OE pads to be semi-metallic but ceramics as a suitable replacement.

and oreilly and rockauto both show oem is ceramic. and i get different answers from each dealership in my city.

anyhow, i think i'll just go with ceramics and call it a day.

As a former designer of investment-cast stainless steel rotors, I have to again warn you that some ceramic compounds are highly abrasive to rotors, while others do not perform well and wear quickly. Choosing strictly by type without adequate research is like choosing shock absorbers only because they are gas-charged.

As a former designer of investment-cast stainless steel rotors, I have to again warn you that some ceramic compounds are highly abrasive to rotors, while others do not perform well and wear quickly. Choosing strictly by type without adequate research is like choosing shock absorbers only because they are gas-charged.

no worries. i do my research. i'm going with akebono or wagner. haven't read a bad review about them yet.